Premed 101 Forums

stations

Guest bxngrb

Guest bxngrb

hi

1) i was just wondering, how long it takes to go from one station to another one

2) how do interviewers know who is in front of them, do we get some kind of name tags or numbers and when ?

3) do we line up in front of the doors, and how do we move to another ine

4) may be some kind of procedure info would be great

5) what is the most important quality accessed at those mmis, ie. content of the answers, the details etc...

thanks

b

1. Stations are right beside each other. It will take you less than a second to get to each one.

2. You are given stickers with all the relevant information about yourself, which you then provide to the interviewer.

3. You stand in front of door and read the question. When you're done, you exit the door and go to the next one.

4. Don't worry too much about all this stuff. It will be the least of your worries during the interview. Just focus on what you will say.

5. They're looking to see if you can think on your feet and provide a well thought-out reponse. Don't worry about giving the 'right' answer. Think about giving the answer that you think is right and then back it up.

Guest UTMed07

If you're wondering what the stations might look like --the following study (by McMaster researchers) on the MMI might give you some idea: www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1365-2923.2004.01776.x

The study discusses what they evaluated the applicants on in the study and the appendix has the stems (the instructions the interviews saw on the doors of the stations).

More on that is in this thread (I just received a letter asking me to come to the MMI).

Guest bxngrb

I have couple more questions,

when you enter the room, do you intorduce yourself, and do tell them your name ?

do yhey start first by asking the question ? or we start talking right away.

do they ask any quuestions ?

also from a logistics point of view, how do we actually line up for that room, and how do we know how to go from one room to another one.

I hope this is not too many questions, but may be anyone can describe in detail the process from the moment we arrive till the end of the interview.

Sure, dont reveal any confidential info, just a procedure.

thanks

b

Guest waitingINwonder

I had similar questions - specifically,

1. do we shake hands with the examiners at each station and introduce ourselves? do we give some sort of greeting like you would in a regular interview? What do we do the minute we get to the station??

2. the practice MMI questions they sent us seem kind of long and detailed, is that what they're like at the actual interview (would be difficult to remember all the details without refering back to the question)

Thanks in advance.

Guest UTMed07

I'm not someone that is "in the know" - but I have done a few OSCEs (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations) and I took part in a MMI study.

when you enter the room, do you intorduce yourself, and do tell them your name ?
Depends somewhat on the station. For some of the stations you have to take the role of someone-- so, you ought to introduce yourself as the person you're playing.

do yhey start first by asking the question ? or we start talking right away.
Depends on the station. In some stations they will start-- no time for a formal introduction or hello.

do they ask any quuestions ?
Generally, yes.

also from a logistics point of view, how do we actually line up for that room, and how do we know how to go from one room to another one.
You go from room to room-- one interviewee per room. There isn't a line.

-----------------------

1. do we shake hands with the examiners at each station and introduce ourselves? do we give some sort of greeting like you would in a regular interview?
Shaking hands-- check. Regular greeting-- depends on the station.
What do we do the minute we get to the station??
You read the stem-- it describes the station you're about to enter.

2. the practice MMI questions they sent us seem kind of long and detailed, is that what they're like at the actual interview (would be difficult to remember all the details without refering back to the question)
In OSCEs, they typically have the stem on a piece of paper inside the station. Also, typically, you're allowed to have some paper-- and you can scribble down a few details from the stem before you enter the room. I dunno if this will be the case in the MMIs.

How things work I'm sure will be explained in detail at the beginning. I'd worry less about the process than the content (that is -- focus on learning about the health care system, have a good answer for "Why do you want to be a doctor?", know your current events and a bit about medical ethics.)

Good Luck!

Guest bxngrb

thanks

but how do they manage to interview so many applicants at once, i.e. do we all get some kind of sequence to follow, in terms of going from room to room, i.e. how do i know where is my next room (i hope the rooms all in some kind of order)

b

Guest UTMed07
but how do they manage to interview so many applicants at once, i.e. do we all get some kind of sequence to follow, in terms of going from room to room, i.e. how do i know where is my next room (i hope the rooms all in some kind of order)
Lots of interviewees... thus lotsa interviewers. As for coordination-- that's where your application fee goes. They hire a bunch of people to plan the stuff and I imagine they'll have a few ushers that tell you where to go (so you don't get lost between stations).

Like I said before, don't worry too much about all this stuff. Mac will make it as easy as possible for you. Just worry about your answers.

Guest arjuna83

Yeah I wouldn't fret on the specifics that much. I did the MMI in Calgary last week and the med students and admin did a great job explaining the process and making sure things went smoothly. It will all become very clear once your at the interview :)

Guest waitingINwonder

Thank you for all the clarification. I just have one last question:

UTMed07, you said to know about the health care system. Can you please specify what types of things we should know about the Canadian health care system? I mean, besides the aim for universality of care, what else is there really?. This would be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest rubberoduck

I have a question. You said that in some stations you have to take on the role of another person. Does that generally apply to ethics scenarios? I was wondering whether I should prepare for those questions from a 3rd person perspective or from a doctor's perspective.

Guest arjuna83

Hey,

If you don't have access to the article linked by UTMed7, PM me and I can send it to you. It has the question stems of all the stations at the 2005 Mac interviews, and should put your minds at rest.

Arjuna

Guest rubberoduck

I have the questions, but I'm still not sure whether the ethics questions (which is given in the form of Dr So-and-so) will require role-playing. I hope that someone can clear that up for me

Archived