Premed 101 Forums

Is it hard getting into dental school

I'm going into grade 12 next year, and I want to major in chemistry at McMaster.

I really like science, people's health, and helping people on a one to one basis. But I'm a little nervous to get a chemistry degree, and not get into dental school.

Is it really hard getting into dental school? I got an 88% average taking bio, chem, physics, math, art, history, and English in grade 11 - is that good enough if I maintain that GPA throughout university? Or is it only acceptable to have 90s...?

Also, do you have any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

High school gpa means nothing.

People going into 1st year science all have 90+ averages and the class averages are in the high 60s low 70s.

You'll have to study your ass off to get a 90 average in university. To get 90 you need more than just hard work though, you need to be really really smart.

I'd say you're competitive if you can get a gpa of around 85 in university.

The average gpa of those accepted to ubc was 83%, western ontario was 84.75% (best two yrs).

High school gpa means nothing.

People going into 1st year science all have 90+ averages and the class averages are in the high 60s low 70s.

You'll have to study your ass off to get a 90 average in university. To get 90 you need more than just hard work though, you need to be really really smart.

I'd say you're competitive if you can get a gpa of around 85 in university.

The average gpa of those accepted to ubc was 83%, western ontario was 84.75% (best two yrs).

wait i thought the avg for matriculting people was something like 88% or higher for western...

in all seriousness, don;t let anyone get your hopes down, my marks actually went up from high school to undergrad. Uni doesn't have to be that hard, you just have to be determined, pick the right classes, and hopefully luckout a bit here and there.

The reason why class avgs are so low first year isn't usually because of how hard uni is, it has more to due with the fact that half the class (in the bigger schools) dont really care about school, they are too busy partying. I personally thought first year was the easiest in uni, and my studying consisted of a 2-week cram period before exams.

I actually went up quite a bit from high school to university. I was at mid 80s in high school and I end up with 3.8ish GPA in university. If you are interested in dentistry, take all the pre-req for the universities you want to apply to and fill the rest with easy options. Talk to your friends and senior students older than you to check out which option is a easy A. It's not only about how smart you are academic wise; It is also about how well do you plan out your schedule. I see a lot of people trying to fit 4-5 science courses in one term, which ended up with a mediocre GPA.

I'm going into grade 12 next year, and I want to major in chemistry at McMaster.

I really like science, people's health, and helping people on a one to one basis. But I'm a little nervous to get a chemistry degree, and not get into dental school.

Is it really hard getting into dental school? I got an 88% average taking bio, chem, physics, math, art, history, and English in grade 11 - is that good enough if I maintain that GPA throughout university? Or is it only acceptable to have 90s...?

Also, do you have any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Bro, why you even thinking like this or about this stuff? What difference does it make. Just do your thing.

Develop good study habits, get help when you need it, and be vigilant about your short term and long term goals and the consequences of your actions.

I think the beauty of Dental school admissions is its simplicity. Get the grades, get the DAT score, get the interview, done.

For the schools I applied to, no Letters of Reference, no personal statement, no subjective stuff. Beautiful.

Don't freak yourself out. Be confident that you have what it takes. Show em you're a tiger. Don't hold back. If this is your goal, work for it and whatever happens, happens.

If you need concrete suggestions, post back and we'll oblige.

Gluck.

Bro, why you even thinking like this or about this stuff? What difference does it make. Just do your thing.

Develop good study habits, get help when you need it, and be vigilant about your short term and long term goals and the consequences of your actions.

I think the beauty of Dental school admissions is its simplicity. Get the grades, get the DAT score, get the interview, done.

For the schools I applied to, no Letters of Reference, no personal statement, no subjective stuff. Beautiful.

Don't freak yourself out. Be confident that you have what it takes. Show em you're a tiger. Don't hold back. If this is your goal, work for it and whatever happens, happens.

Gluck.

Would you care to list what those schools are?

Gluck.

Thanks for the great posts. I'd love concrete suggestions.

Thanks for the great posts. I'd love concrete suggestions.

I meant in time, if you eventually need concrete suggestions when you come to a crossroad, let us know.

Right now, all you need to do is (IMO):

- Get good grades in your final year of high school or at least the 1st semester. Scholarships are usually based on those grades.

- Go to any undegrad. Doesn't matter. Every Canadian University you can think of off the top of your head is good.

- Enroll in a program you're interested in while getting all the pre-reqs. If you're interested, it makes learning less of a chore.

- DO NOT enroll in some hardcore Engineering-Science double major thinking that if Dental school is hard, then you should prep for it accordingly.

Worry about the rest when the time comes.

Get off the computer and go play outside. You're too young to be worrying about this :) (that's not a put-down bud)

I will have to agree. If you want to get into dentistry, then go for all the pre-req and nothing but those courses. Fill the rest with easy options to meet the course load requirement. Doing a double major as a back-up? Not such a great idea. It is possible but why make it hard for yourself?

Archived