Premed 101 Forums

Emphasis about Research Publications

Hey Everyone! :cool:

First of all, this is my first post on these forums! :) I just became a member this morning, and I am glad I did so, because I am really looking forward to communicating with a whole bunch of you guys!

So, I actually have a question that has been bothering me for quite some time now.

I just finished my first year (with a GPA just a tad bit over 3.7), and this past summer I've been privileged (and lucky for that matter) to get involved with some clinical epidemiological research. My supervisor is really kind, and knows of my goal to apply to medical school. As such, he is more than willing to help me out by getting me involved extensively in his projects and consequently, including me as an author (second and third) on multiple papers. Also, during the school year, I was involved with another project (clinical yet again, however under the supervisor of another physician), for which I was rewarded with a third authorship.

However, in light of my application to medical school, will these publications really improve my chances? Mind you, I enjoy clinical epidemiological research, and one of my backup plans is to pursue a Master's degree in Clinical Epidemiology.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on my concern!

Thank you guys! :)

Archived