Premed 101 Forums

Help_ Shadowing A Dentist

Hi,

I wanted to shadow a dentist this year and I'm kinda confused on how to find a dentist that would accept me. should I just go to clinics and ask them in person or do I send an application/cv/cover letter/whatever? any advise?

Thanks

Hey Dentist2b,

It's great that you are taking this initiative. I would recommend that you prepare a cover letter and CV in hopes of securing an opportunity to job shadow. In your cover letter, you should express your interest in dentistry and how you want to be able to learn more about the profession by actively observing the daily activities of a dentist. I think a great place to start would be your family dentist. If he/she is not able to accompany your request, maybe he/she will be able to find another dentist who will be happy to take you on.

Good luck!

Hi,

I wanted to shadow a dentist this year and I'm kinda confused on how to find a dentist that would accept me. should I just go to clinics and ask them in person or do I send an application/cv/cover letter/whatever? any advise?

Thanks

I know I got to shadow my own dentist. I went in, I said, "I can watch what it is that you do for awhile?" and they let me do just that. I'd advise to have a more formal approach though. :P

I know I got to shadow my own dentist. I went in, I said, "I can watch what it is that you do for awhile?" and they let me do just that. I'd advise to have a more formal approach though. :P

the thing is that I haven't been to my dentist for a while and I feel kina shy just asking him. and I don't want to be too formal & just give him a cover letter/cv coz then I don't know when I'll get an answer! I guess I'll just drop by a couple of clinics and talk to the receptionist and see whats the best way to do this...i don't know!

the thing is that I haven't been to my dentist for a while and I feel kina shy just asking him. and I don't want to be too formal & just give him a cover letter/cv coz then I don't know when I'll get an answer! I guess I'll just drop by a couple of clinics and talk to the receptionist and see whats the best way to do this...i don't know!

Go to your dentist with "tooth pain".... they will probably give you a general checkup and the dentist will be around enough for you to talk to him/her for a bit. then pop the question. If u dont have insurance it may cost you a bit.. but... if you really want to shadow...

Well...its either you give into your shyness and pass on the chance of shadowing...or get over your shyness and have the chance of shadowing...it really depends on how badly you want to do it, because if you really want to shadow a dentist, you shouldn't be afraid to just ask.

Hope that helps. :P

I just called up the local OMFS and said I'm interested in Dentistry and would like to shadow them.

I was polite on the phone, made sure I knew his name and wouldn't forget it, knew the directions to the place, and just little things.

Cover letter is IMO over kill and easier to ignore than a person on the other phone.

Lol...don't lie to the dentist about tooth pain...sounds a bit ridiculous to me :rolleyes: Just be brave, pick up the phone and ASK. Something like:

"Hello my name is ...... and I am an ......... student in the area. I was wondering if I could shadow Dr. ......... since I want to go to dental school. When is the best time to shadow?" Voila! Yes, you will get many rejections, but you will also get a few that will say yes. So go prepared with some questions and be professional about it.

Lol...don't lie to the dentist about tooth pain...sounds a bit ridiculous to me :rolleyes: Just be brave, pick up the phone and ASK. Something like:

"Hello my name is ...... and I am an ......... student in the area. I was wondering if I could shadow Dr. ......... since I want to go to dental school. When is the best time to shadow?" Voila! Yes, you will get many rejections, but you will also get a few that will say yes. So go prepared with some questions and be professional about it.

This is what I did. One and done..... first OMFS dude I called was cool and we rolled.

Archived