Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I need some 'seroius' advice..

Hi, I am writting this thread b/c I seriously worry about my situation..-.-

I am going to be 3rd year science student in this september and

I basically "blowed" last 2 years.. I do have some excuses for this but I don't

think it will do anything good.. The cumulative average GPA of my last 2

years is not even close to any Canadian medical school's accepting cum.

average GPA..

I really don't think I can raise my GPA to the required GPA.. and I know that I can't upgrade my mark easily since most of canadian school do not accept

courses taken twice or taken in summer school.. I have looked for schools outside canada but I don't think it's possible..-.-

What should I do..? I seriously need some advice or recommendation

(such as medical school that I can challenge now?)regarding my situation...

thanks..

What was your gpa in year 1 and 2?

Although you may have messed up the first couple years, you can still apply to those schools (uwo, queens, sask, dal) that only look at last/best 2 years if you can get 3.7+ in the last couple years of your degree.

umm.. my cGPA is just terrible.. it can't be compared with any other guy's cGPA posted in this thread..sigh.. The thing about schulich med school (UWO) is that they accept the year as one of 2 best year, only if the courses taken during that year are corresponding to the students' studying year (Ex. in my case, I am going to be 3rd year, so my courses must be 3rd year level).. and I can't do that since I just had bad bad bad bad bad marks during last year :(

Actually, the OP of this thread has a good point that I only recently noticed too. What do you do when you need to take 60% of your courses per year (is it as specific as per semester too? I think so..) but you can't take that many senior courses because you need say the 1st/2nd year pre-req courses.

I asked about this too but I was more general. I think I asked for the last 2 years couldn't I just boost up my GPA by taking all 1st year bird courses to which someone responded that you have to take 3 out 5 courses that are of your respective year.

The OP's question, and mine too now, is what if you simply can't?

I'd guess you'd have to wait another year?? Maybe speak to the program head?

I would suggest trying to complete some of the first or second year courses in the summer and you can still take some during the regular school year if you need. It's possible, with some creativity, to take three third year classes that you have the pre req for or there isn't one required and then taking two first year courses to try to catch up. I guess it all depends on what program you are in but you should try talking to an academic counsellor for your program to see what they suggest.

Archived