Premed 101 Forums

Writing Sample - what if you don't understand what the prompt means?

chuntingche

As the title of the thread says, are we allowed to ask proctors about certain definitions in the prompt. For example, if we are given:

"In the recording of history, it is impossible to be objective."

And I didn't understand the meaning of objective, would I be able to ask the proctor the meaning of it because if I don't understand that key word, then I'm pretty much going to get an X for that essay.

Thanks in advance for replies/advice!

Haha yea my English isn't really that amazing :(

I found another example prompt:

"Today's mobile society often loses in family and community ties what it agins in individual freedom"

If I got that on my actual MCAT, there would be no way I would know what "agins" means exactly. Good thing I can provide my own interpretation :)

Once again, thanks a lot guys for all your help. I really appreciate it!

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry. Am I missing something here? We are allowed to provide our own definition of terms? How does that work? I don't get it. You mean we can just make up stuff to accommodate our essay?

What I mean by that is, for example, we can't think of why AAA would benefit society, but we have an idea for why AAA would not benefit society.

However, by changing the meaning of AAA, we can accommodate both benefit and harm society. And thus, we can write a better essay.

We're allow to do that without being punished? Can someone please explain.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet so sorry for being a n00b.

No, if you absolutely do not know what a word means and are completely guessing and are far off, then you will lose marks. You can define it, but so long as it fits the general framework of the definition. Most words, for example, let's say a prompt says something like, "When teaching a class, teachers must only present truths to students"... the word "truths" has a somewhat ambiguious meaning, so by all means, define it as you talk about what you think it means (in the 1st paragraph). Again, objective can also be defined more specifically to relate it to the case at hand.

Anyway, hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
As the title of the thread says, are we allowed to ask proctors about certain definitions in the prompt. For example, if we are given:

"In the recording of history, it is impossible to be objective."

And I didn't understand the meaning of objective, would I be able to ask the proctor the meaning of it because if I don't understand that key word, then I'm pretty much going to get an X for that essay.

Thanks in advance for replies/advice!

Hey :)

If this is something that you're really worried about, you could always read all the writing sample prompts on the aamc website: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm.

According to the AAMC, "Topics selected for use in MCAT exams will be similar or identical to those in this list" The essay prompts that I got (and that all my friends got) were from this list, and I've heard informally that no one gets prompts that are not on the list.

It might take you a couple of hours to read through all of the prompts though! (looks like there are more than a few hundred there!)

Hey :)

If this is something that you're really worried about, you could always read all the writing sample prompts on the aamc website: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm.

According to the AAMC, "Topics selected for use in MCAT exams will be similar or identical to those in this list" The essay prompts that I got (and that all my friends got) were from this list, and I've heard informally that no one gets prompts that are not on the list.

It might take you a couple of hours to read through all of the prompts though! (looks like there are more than a few hundred there!)

Took a quick look at the list, and I see all the prompts I have gotten on my two MCAT tries on there. ;)

Archived