Premed 101 Forums

Chances at McGill dental?

hey everyone. I was just wondering, I have been at a complete loss to find any stats for people accepted into McGill. I have a 3.7 gpa overall from a US undergrad college. I'm not applying to any other canadian schools because, well, i'm not stupid. Anyway, as in-province, would I have a decent chance of at least an interview, considering 20's on the DAT across the board? Thank you

Aright I'll bite :)

Your gpa is above the cut-off for McGill, and if you are in province, you should have a good shot with 20-straight DAT scores. They are most strict with OOPs.

http://www.mcgill.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergrad/faq/

If you are in province for QC, what's your status in Canada? Citizen? PR?

If you're a citizen, it shouldn't matter that you did your undergrad in USA, but only McGill can tell you that. Contact the schools and see what they say. It's worth a try.

Gluck.

I was born in montreal, so yeah I'm a citizen, Resident of Quebec. I already talked to McGill. They said they would be ok with me doing my undergrad in the US. The applications for IP for the 2009 cycle open september 1, right? Not sure what PR is. I can only assume it's permanent resident. I'm not permanently residing in Canada, but I'm a Resident of Quebec (ROQ) by birth, apparently. Don't know if that helps.

if you were born in canada, then you must be a canadian citizen (atleast i would think so).

"Permanent resident" or PR is a designation for immigrants who are not canadian citizens yet but they have the visa for permanent residency in canada.

also, last i checked, UBC and UWO do not distinguish between in province and out of province students. so you can apply there as well unless you are feeling stupid.

if you were born in canada, then you must be a canadian citizen (atleast i would think so).

"Permanent resident" or PR is a designation for immigrants who are not canadian citizens yet but they have the visa for permanent residency in canada.

also, last i checked, UBC and UWO do not distinguish between in province and out of province students. so you can apply there as well unless you are feeling stupid.

Should be correct. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/questions-citizenship.asp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
bumping this thread

I know what you mean...but it's like what was posted above, they're much more stringent for out of province students (a lot of people had 4.0s, while the in-province people had 3.5ish). The 3.5 cutoff is usually for an interview, but it's not an absolute requirement. From what I understand, they base their admissions on 4 criteria (no idea what the order of importance is though): 1) GPA 2) Interview 3) DAT scores 4) references/autobio letter

I know people who had lower GPAs and acceptable DAT scores and they got in, so I'm guessing the interview and letters are really important too. So based on what you said, I'm gonna assume you'll at least get an interview, then the rest is up to you and how good you are when being interviewed.

As for the whole Canadian schools and really high GPAs...I know that at McGill an A is considered 85%+, so if your A is 93+ I can see how it's pretty much impossible to get straight A's. Grading systems are different all over Canada (at some places, a pass is above 50%, while others are above 65%...same goes for A grades, it can be anywhere from above 80% to above 95%) which would explain why so many OOP's had 4.0s while the IP's sometimes even had lower than 3.5

Hope that helps!

Archived