Premed 101 Forums

UBC $10,200 deposit

Did anyone submit their $10 200 UBC deposit and decided not to go to UBC? What did you do about the deposit?

I emailed UBC as to whether it can be converted into a "donation" for the faculty. But their response was that it can't be done. This is what they said "It is due to the fact that according to Canada Revenue law, a “deposit” is forfeited if the student pays and then doesn’t enrol in classes, and thus the payment is not tax deductable. "

I'm wondering if anyone got a different response from the dental faculty?

Or if you pursued other option of getting some of the money back?

THANKS!

Did anyone submit their $10 200 UBC deposit and decided not to go to UBC? What did you do about the deposit?

I emailed UBC as to whether it can be converted into a "donation" for the faculty. But their response was that it can't be done. This is what they said "It is due to the fact that according to Canada Revenue law, a “deposit” is forfeited if the student pays and then doesn’t enrol in classes, and thus the payment is not tax deductable. "

I'm wondering if anyone got a different response from the dental faculty?

Or if you pursued other option of getting some of the money back?

THANKS!

Yeah, my friend and I were wondering the same thing. Has anybody tried asking for atleast some money back? I thought the payment was tax deductible?

any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I already tried asking for a little bit back...no luck....since it is clearly stated in 3 places (this is what they told me) that no refunds are given back. I still don't understand why they can't give us a receipt back which can be used as a donation receipt for tax deductions...it's not like they have to give any of the money back to us, just typing up a piece of paper :confused:

I don't know why they're not helping us. I even got an income tax receipt for the $200 UBC application fee.

The application fee's not even going towards our tuition. While our deposit is clearly going towards our tuition -- how is it that we can't get a tax receipt for that?

Yeah I'm not sure if I should even bother applying to UBC anymore. There's some schools closer to home that I'd much rather attend, but it's one of the first schools to come back with a decision meaning you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place about if you should confirm a seat or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived