Premed 101 Forums

Time managment Q: How practical should the answer be?

Guest eg77

Hello,

I'm formulating my answer for the Q "5. What does time management mean to you? (700 Characters)"

I'm wondering how detailed should my answer be? I know this sounds kind of geeky but should I for example discuss how I regularly watch the news while eating dinner or making lunch for the next day? Or choosing to commute to work instead of driving as to maximize productivity? If this is a stupid idea and you guys think the Admissions Comm will laugh at this please let me know!

Thanks in advance:\

Try and answer the question...what does time management mean to YOU? If it means maximizing productivity, then provide examples to show how you accomplish that. Although the examples you've listed are personal, I think you should try to be a bit more comprehensive. Try to include how you are able to manage your many responsibilities by multi-tasking.

If you don't agree with my opinion, feel free to ignore it! I am applying this year as well so it's a shot in the dark for me too!

Madz

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

Not sure how to answer this time management question either. I personally don't think of time management as maximizing and being efficient like a machine. I took a more general approach to it. I didn't state personal examples really either. I think Mac is looking for a mindset in this question.

Henner

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure how to make it comprehensive though. I agree that multi-tasking is key for me and that's the foundation behind my time mnagament. But is it stupid to mention such little details in my response?

It's important to add examples in every question you answer. We had a med school seminar last year where a representative from McMaster talked to us about the application process. He told us that it is important to add activities when answering each question (ie. they want to see verifiers in each submission).

Adding personal experiences/activities sets you apart from other applicants. Anyone can write a generic answer but your experiences are yours alone.

Madz

Would you say it's better to focus on one aspect of time managment (ex max productivity through multi-tasking) with a concrete example? It's really hard to make this answer good without focusing in on one aspect...unless you wanna touch the surface of several topics.

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

Adding examples is definitely important. But I definitely don't think it's necessary for every question. Many of my friends had very good answers to the questions without examples and they got interviews. Sometimes, an answer can be made better without going into an example. If the answer is otherwise weak, then an example can make it stronger. I've used examples in 4 of the 5 questions.

Henner

I think time management is about getting everything you want and need to do in life done and done well. So, what they want to know is how you go about doing that.

Also, if you can, I would definitely consider putting examples in. It gives you a chance to elaborate more on the activities you've done in life and how they've helped you get to this point.

Guest MDHopefully2005

Don't forget making time for yourself....ie. self-reflection, relaxation time......(an important aspect of time management skills in my opinion)

Archived