Premed 101 Forums

using contractions in essay

Guest riffraff

Guest riffraff

hi,

when answering the 5 questions for McMaster, it is difficult to keep below the 700 character limit. does anyone know if using contractions (ex. 'I've' instead of 'I have') is looked down upon by those who read your responses?

thanks in advance

Guest silverjelly86

Um, I've had that problem, but I wouldn't do it in the essay. I don't know, but I think they really evaluate those responses and you should aim to sound as professional as possible. But that's just my piece.:)

Guest grandmellon

I see absolutely no problem with using contractions. The people reading these essays realize there is a character limit and might even like that you have been able to say more ;)

lol

I'm using them on mine:rollin

Guest MDWannabe

I'm with most of the group in thinking at least some readers will frown on contractions. Some insist on the formality, and for those people, it's not worth taking the chance. They will see it for what it is - a chance to add one or two extra words. There have been many truly excellent answers that fit well within the limit.

Guest NurseNathalie

I used them... it didn't seem to make a difference. I think the content is more important than whether or not you used contractions myself, and boy- that 700 caracters fills up mighty quickly!

that is simply my opinion though.. and I also think it depends on who reads it, right?

Guest MDWannabe

That was my point above - it depends on who reads it. I must tell you that I am a bit of a stickler for this stuff, but there were many readers who were much more serious than me in their approach to this. I wouldn't take a chance of putting someone off just to save a few characters. Instead, consider editing more carefully.

Archived