Premed 101 Forums

UBC Dental

Okay I've been browsing these forums for the past 2 days, looking up any threads with the term UBC and simply GAWKING at some of the GPA's you guys have.

I'm currently a 3rd year undergrad majoring in Chemistry at UBC.

My GPA for the first two years is only 73% (yeah...dunno what I was doing...but organic chem KILLED me).

UBC dent admission average is about 81-83%, and it seems impossible for me to get in, especially with the courseload I have this year (quantum chem, ADVANCED organic, etc.)

I plan to study for the DAT next summer and take it in November 2009.

As for extracurricular, I have no experience working in a hospital per se, but I did help out at the blood donor clinic for a year.

I've heard from some friends that Canadian dental schools don't care as much about volunteer work as the Canadian medical schools.

Currently my problem is my GPA, it seems hopeless to me

How'd you guys manage a 3.7+ GPA? That's like an 87% average....

Because I actually find chemistry quite interesting, how chemistry, physics and math connect together to form the basis of nearly every modern technology

computers? silicon

lighter cars? aluminum

and I also really like the fact that chemists will be the cure to global warming (if we don't blow each other up with nukes first).

Just that UBC chem is pretty fricking hard....

@Contach: wow...5 hours a day, that's something i can't do. I need at least 8 hours/day to function well. No comment on your diet.

Because I actually find chemistry quite interesting, how chemistry, physics and math connect together to form the basis of nearly every modern technology

computers? silicon

lighter cars? aluminum

and I also really like the fact that chemists will be the cure to global warming (if we don't blow each other up with nukes first).

Just that UBC chem is pretty fricking hard....

@Contach: wow...5 hours a day, that's something i can't do. I need at least 8 hours/day to function well. No comment on your diet.

I was in chem also.

I think it gets easier in 3rd year.

Hm, just let you know getting 85% at UBC and 85% at some other school is different. So I guess you are pretty much stuck at UBC just like me.

And for your volunteering stuff, I don't think you need any.

They only look at your mark.

Try to get to know some profs well, and may be find a dental clinic you could do some shadowing. You might need some strong reference letters.

Well, try your best for next 2 years.

As you might already know, UBC drops your worst year.

Study hard!! and good luck.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

I was in chem also.

I think it gets easier in 3rd year.

Hm, just let you know getting 85% at UBC and 85% at some other school is different. So I guess you are pretty much stuck at UBC just like me.

And for your volunteering stuff, I don't think you need any.

They only look at your mark.

Try to get to know some profs well, and may be find a dental clinic you could do some shadowing. You might need some strong reference letters.

Well, try your best for next 2 years.

As you might already know, UBC drops your worst year.

Study hard!! and good luck.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying UBC factors in which school, for example, you got an 85% in?

I think what was meant here is that it seems more difficult to succeed in some courses depending on the university. However, dental schools don't care where you went, as long as it's an accredited school and the correct prereqs (and of course that you did really well).

And of course not all schools use the same grading scale so there can be a difference between how grades are calculated (which can change things and become quite tricky to convert at times).

Archived