Premed 101 Forums

does anyone want to form a study group for november DAT?

hi, i was wondering if anyone wants to form a study group where we could all help each other out with practice in PAT, maybe science and carving and study together? Does anyone wanna do that? I think we are competing with 1200 other people anyways, might as well help each other out maybe on the weekends, at the library in toronto or something.

Let me know!

How can you say that it's people like me who are going to fail in life, you know nothing of me, or what I'm capable of for that matter. And as for the moment, I'm heading down the same path as you, towards dentistry. When getting into dental school is as competitive as it is these days, why would you want to give advice to others who are fighting for those spots. Aside from using your own brain, there are plenty of other resources out there for help with the DAT. I did not mean for my comment to be offensive, I was simply trying to illustrate my personal opinion of the senselessness of a study group for a test of this type and magnitude.

I wasn't going to jump in but Phloem...btw, you got ur username from me didn't you?

Anyway, Phloem, buddy - if you think about it, prepping in a study group isn't going to change what your score is going to be. Giving out advice or helping out like 5 extra people will not make a difference to the curve. Do you know how many people write the test?

If anything having a study group at least keeps you motivated knowing that's there's others out there who are going through the same thing as you, it's good support. You can go out for a bite or some drinks after your prep session, etc.

If you're capable of scoring into the 90%iles you'll do it no matter how many people you help man, it's statistics - you can't beat statistics, the curve is always the same.

How can you say that it's people like me who are going to fail in life, you know nothing of me, or what I'm capable of for that matter. And as for the moment, I'm heading down the same path as you, towards dentistry. When getting into dental school is as competitive as it is these days, why would you want to give advice to others who are fighting for those spots. Aside from using your own brain, there are plenty of other resources out there for help with the DAT. I did not mean for my comment to be offensive, I was simply trying to illustrate my personal opinion of the senselessness of a study group for a test of this type and magnitude.

Your perspective is painfully juvenile and is sure to change in time... until then...

Let's talk this out for your benefit, because really I hope you get what you want.... If saying I got into Dental school gives me some credibility with you, ok fine, I got into Dentistry. BFD. We (you) have bigger issues....

How do you gauge your learning? You really want actual test Day to be the Day you find out how well you know it all? Did you just glaze over that last chapter? How do you know you're not just letting it all in on ear and out there other?

Two ways: 1) Do mad practice tests 2) Teach the concepts to others and learn from others, face to face.

Discuss things with others and see if you make sense. Look for gaps in your knowledge. Let your peers point out your shortcomings. Studying in groups keeps you on your toes because you don't want to look like an idiot (just study with the right people).

If you use groups to find your mistakes and correct them, the benefit far outweighs 'helping your competition'. You will Murder the DAT.

People asked me for help all the time when studying for the DAT, and I NEVER refused. You might even get a favor in return.

Don't stab yourself in the foot by thinking you can get ahead by bringing everyone else down. There's too many people for that and you will stress yourself to hell. Just find ways to bring out the best in yourself.

Gluck. Let us know if there's things you need help with.

PS: xylem my man, you got your username jacked. pwnd! ;)

Your perspective is painfully juvenile and is sure to change in time... until then...

Let's talk this out for your benefit, because really I hope you get what you want.... If saying I got into Dental school gives me some credibility with you, ok fine, I got into Dentistry. BFD. We (you) have bigger issues....

How do you gauge your learning? You really want actual test Day to be the Day you find out how well you know it all? Did you just glaze over that last chapter? How do you know you're not just letting it all in on ear and out there other?

Two ways: 1) Do mad practice tests 2) Teach the concepts to others and learn from others, face to face.

Discuss things with others and see if you make sense. Look for gaps in your knowledge. Let your peers point out your shortcomings. Studying in groups keeps you on your toes because you don't want to look like an idiot (just study with the right people).

If you use groups to find your mistakes and correct them, the benefit far outweighs 'helping your competition'. You will Murder the DAT.

People asked me for help all the time when studying for the DAT, and I NEVER refused. You might even get a favor in return.

Don't stab yourself in the foot by thinking you can get ahead by bringing everyone else down. There's too many people for that and you will stress yourself to hell. Just find ways to bring out the best in yourself.

Gluck. Let us know if there's things you need help with.

PS: xylem my man, you got your username jacked. pwnd! ;)

Arnie, to answer your questions.. a) Yes, I want Test Day to be the day I find out I know it all. I'm not paying 220$ to take this test half-assed and have to re-do it. Even if I don't get the score I want the first time, I can write it again if need be. B) How do I know I'm not just letting it all in "on ear and out there other?" (I think you meant "in one ear and out the other"). Well because the content of the Bio/Chem sections are laid out for us. We just have to study that content and answer a few questions. JUST LIKE ANY OTHER EXAM WE'VE EVER HAD IN UNIVERSITY. Things just don't go in one ear and out the other, I don't know what kind of study techniques you're used to. The carving and PAT simply take practice, and practice, and more practice. There's no data to fly through any ears here.

c) I'm not trying to bring anyone down here.

d) I will let people know if I need help, that's precisely why I use this site to talk with other students.

e) If I "jacked" (very mature wording) xylem's name, it would read something like "Xylem56," or "Xylem123." Not Phloem01. Just so you know they are different tissues.

Oh My! I did not expect to turn this thread into a nightmare!

All I wanted to know was if someone wanted to study together, it would be nice. Anyways, thanks for the support Arnie, Xylem, Carlitto, you guys are awesome.

Phloem, you are an idiot. It scares me that its the new bunch like you thats making the healthcare field so vicious. You are probably one of those keeners that would even sell their soul to get to where you want. I am sorry but you seem like it. I am a competitive person too but just thought it would have been nice. Btw, I don't need this group now since I am getting help from a dental student on some sections I need help with. Sciences, I am ok, PAT is my practice and RC I am working on myself.

We will see, I still believe in Karma so if anyone at anytime needs help, I will help them regardless of my capability to the best I can. Phloem, one advice, you need to grow up and one day you will realize that you are an *******.Get some counselling because you seem bitter about life and people like you cannot help anyone but only snatch things away from others. Your lack of altruism and condescending behaviour demonstrates your misfit for this field.

You are just disrespectful.

Thread should be closed. This was the final post.

Well, just to defend my user name, Phloem (u need to study the plant section more, lol :P) - they are the same tissue: vascular. They're different cell types of the same tissue.

I'm hoping that I can get somewhat of a group going for the Feb DAT, that's the one I'm writing.

Pharmacy's been alright but they've got major inferiority issues, everytime the word MD or doctor or physician is used, it's always in a negative context, lol. No one really empathetic wrt my situation - would be nice to hook up with some DAT peeps later on in my prep.

Hey Xylem - Question - Are courses in Pharmacy pass/fail like in dent or do they use the regular grading scheme? And would dental schools include marks in pharmacy in your cumulative just like any other bsc courses? I was thinking of applying for pharmacy as well and, if i got in, doing pharmacy while at the same time trying to get into dental school. Is this a good idea?

Hey Xylem - Question - Are courses in Pharmacy pass/fail like in dent or do they use the regular grading scheme? And would dental schools include marks in pharmacy in your cumulative just like any other bsc courses? I was thinking of applying for pharmacy as well and, if i got in, doing pharmacy while at the same time trying to get into dental school. Is this a good idea?

Some of the courses are H/P/F but most use the regular scheme, it's still quite competitive too b/c there's many kids who completed only a single year of undergrad and are still thinking about meds - it's not that different from undergrad I find.

I think the courses with grades would be included but the H/P/F are not - I know that's how it's done in the US, the P/F courses aren't even considered.

Well, the I way I see it is this: if you don't get into dental school what's your alternative? It's bone-headed not to have one right? Pharmacy is a good profession that demands a lot from it's members and it requires learning interesting material, with a very good income potential. Beats the uncertainty of having a regular BSc in my eyes.

If this is your plan you should apply this year - they're slowly changing the admissions process. For this cycle, you have to write the PCAT - the next one is probably already booked full and there's one in January, you should get on that quick. For now, it's just PCAT plus GPA. Soon, I'm pretty sure they're going to introduce reference letters, ECs maybe.

Archived