Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

Hey guys, I posted this on SDN but that forum seems mostly American so I'll ask here as well...

I took the MCAT in 2008 and got 11PS/10V/12BS --> 33Q. GPA is 3.77. I didn't get any interviews last application cycle and I was set on re-taking the MCAT. I'm applying to Ontario schools and a bunch of American schools so no doubt a higher score would help on the American side. But as with most people, verbal is my weakest section and after seeing how schools like UofT uses the MCAT just for a cutoff, I'm not sure I should risk a second-take. I basically maxed out at 10 on practice exams and that's what I got on the real thing. I feel a higher (verbal) score would only help with Western ON and McMaster on the Canadian/Ontario side.

Any advice on this subject? For international students applying to U.S. schools, is a 33Q good enough or should I try for a higher score?

I think I would re-write because a 10 in verbal and a Q in writing is no longer a safe combo now. At the very least, If you can maintain your 10 in verbal and manage to improve your writing to R, you are almost guaranteed to get an interview at Queens. However, a 33Q is a great balanced score and the cutoffs may drop in your favour and you might get an interview at both Western and Queens but you may not get one at either if the cutoffs do not drop. I guess it depends on how much of a gamble you want to take.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice about whether I should rewrite or not. I'm currently studying and am scheduled to rewrite, but am now having second thoughts about how much I can improve my scores.

I wrote in 2007 and got

10 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS, Q.

I'd ideally like to get into U of T. Any thoughts? I'm going through a mini panic attack :confused:

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some advice about whether I should rewrite or not. I'm currently studying and am scheduled to rewrite, but am now having second thoughts about how much I can improve my scores.

I wrote in 2007 and got

10 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS, Q.

I'd ideally like to get into U of T. Any thoughts? I'm going through a mini panic attack :confused:

Thanks!

Why would someone with that score want to rewrite? That score is good for all schools except queens... but queens only has a 100 seats anyways. Plus its not that easy to get an R on the writing sample... well writing sample is all luck, I guess.

But yea, I wouldn't rewrite it if I were you.

• 1 month later...
also mini panic attack going on

PS- 14

VR-11

BS-12

writing sample: P!!!

how severely will this limit my options, I realise that my numerical score will be sufficient, but I definately screwed up the essays :(

thanks

Based on last year cutoffs, you are good for Western and but unforunately not Queens. Your 11VR will definitely help you out for Mcmaster.

• 4 weeks later...

So I was a 2pm Sept 3 writer and have been debating whether or not to re-write. Here's my situation:

XX

I think that if I take the MCAT again after 2nd year, I'll have much more extensive bio knowledge and can refine my VR skills even more. Do you think its worth it for Canadian schools? What about if I was to apply to the top 10 in the U.S. ?

Thanks a bunch

Thanks guys :) My current plan of action is to wait until 3rd year and then take another practice exam, if I score 37+ consistently (with a minium VR of 11), then I'll consider re-taking. Sound good?

Perhaps we should ask for clarification - why do you think you should rewrite? Everyone is correct about you clearing the cut offs and have situated yourself as a competitive applicant but I sense you think there is still something you need to overcome. May I ask what your reasoning is? :)

I think he wants to go to a top 10 US med school

Precisely. My EC's and whatnot should be pretty competitive. Also, I feel like I could do better: 3XX was pretty much the lowest score I had received out of all 6 AAMC practice exams. In addition to this, I think I'll have a much more solid grasp of the sciences material after my 2nd/3rd year (especially considering how 1st year bio at UTSG was ALL evolution/ecology).

Indeed. BIO250/PSL302 basically make studying for BS a waste of time.

Haha its BIO240/241 now :) And its the last year they're offering it, apparently the frosh get a whole new bio experience (they already get cellular bio in 1st year =.=).

And I actually did take PSL302 in the summer whilst studying for the MCAT at the same time. I gotta say, compared to the physio in PSL, MCAT BS physio was well....BS [/end lame joke].

But oh well :) I'll apply to Canadian schools as a 3rd year and see how things go. How are you doing for apps this year btw HBP? Where you applying to?

Haha its BIO240/241 now :) And its the last year they're offering it, apparently the frosh get a whole new bio experience (they already get cellular bio in 1st year =.=).

And I actually did take PSL302 in the summer whilst studying for the MCAT at the same time. I gotta say, compared to the physio in PSL, MCAT BS physio was well....BS [/end lame joke].

But oh well :) I'll apply to Canadian schools as a 3rd year and see how things go. How are you doing for apps this year btw HBP? Where you applying to?

Wow serious? I actually really liked BIO150. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have learned about evolution and ecology.

I took BIO250 and PSL302 2 years ago, and I wrote the MCAT this year. I studied (badly) about 50% of the material for the Biological Sciences section, but ended up with a good score in it. Prep books are deceiving - they may make you believe that you need to memorize all this information, but most of the information you need beyond the basics is actually given to you in the passage.

Wow serious? I actually really liked BIO150. Otherwise, I wouldn't even have learned about evolution and ecology.

I took BIO250 and PSL302 2 years ago, and I wrote the MCAT this year. I studied (badly) about 50% of the material for the Biological Sciences section, but ended up with a good score in it. Prep books are deceiving - they may make you believe that you need to memorize all this information, but most of the information you need beyond the basics is actually given to you in the passage.

I liked the evolution part of bio BIO150; ecology was a big LOLz. I completely skipped the second semester and ended up having to catch up on 10 lecture the night before the exam...x.x" lol.

And I agree, prep books are so loaded with details, its kind of stupid IMO. I remember trying to memorize random things about obscure organelles that really had nothing to do with the big picture - BIG waste of time.

As a side note, I didn't know you went to UTSG! Are you applying this cycle?

As a side note, I didn't know you went to UTSG! Are you applying this cycle?

Indeed I am, I'm currently a 4th year. I just noticed that you are class of 2013 - your MCAT score is certainly impressive considering you are only 2nd year. So nice and balanced... you're good for any Canadian school (I seriously envy your R), unlike my 36M (P14/V10/M/B12).

Indeed I am, I'm currently a 4th year. I just noticed that you are class of 2013 - your MCAT score is certainly impressive considering you are only 2nd year. So nice and balanced... you're good for any Canadian school (I seriously envy your R), unlike my 36M (P14/V10/M/B12).

Haha thanks :) I did take a prep course (TPR) though to offset my lack of Orgo 2, Bio and PHY 2. I think you should definitely try to get a remark of your WS (you don't really have much to lose?). Good luck with your apps this year :) We need more U of T alumni in med

• 2 months later...

Looking for some advice as to whether or not I should re-write...

12 PS/10 VR/11 BS/Q

I felt that my BS and VR scores were low compared to the AAMC practice exams I did but then again, I felt that the practice exams weren't really that similar to the MCAT I wrote. Anyway, I feel as though I can definitely improve VR and probably BS, but I really feel as though I got lucky with the Q. I thought that both essays were the longest and best that I had written (I really struggle with writing anything) and was kind of bummed not to get an R

Anyway, I was thinking of re-writing because I think my best chances are within Ontario. I won't be taking English, which eliminates me from most American schools and UBC. My GPA meets all hard cut-offs, so I was disappointed to miss the hard MCAT cut-offs for Queen's and Western.

Thoughts?

Looking for some advice as to whether or not I should re-write...

12 PS/10 VR/11 BS/Q

I felt that my BS and VR scores were low compared to the AAMC practice exams I did but then again, I felt that the practice exams weren't really that similar to the MCAT I wrote. Anyway, I feel as though I can definitely improve VR and probably BS, but I really feel as though I got lucky with the Q. I thought that both essays were the longest and best that I had written (I really struggle with writing anything) and was kind of bummed not to get an R

Anyway, I was thinking of re-writing because I think my best chances are within Ontario. I won't be taking English, which eliminates me from most American schools and UBC. My GPA meets all hard cut-offs, so I was disappointed to miss the hard MCAT cut-offs for Queen's and Western.

Thoughts?

What do you have to lose really?

You probably won't get in to OOP schools (speaking from probability, even if you have the GPA to do so it's still a very large crapshoot). In Ontario that leaves Toronto, McMaster and Ottawa.

Really your only risk is doing worse on verbal because that would hurt you at McMaster. But if you can do better on verbal/writing, then Queen's/Western are in.

So it's a gamble. If I were you I'd rewrite, but only because I'm confident in my VR/WS skills (more so than my science ones). If you're not, then focus on building your strengths for Toronto, McMaster and Ottawa.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been studying for another shot at the MCAT (scheduled for late March). I wrote it for the first time last January and scored a 38N (15/11/12). I was extremely happy with the numerical score, but the Writing Sample killed me. Prevented me from applying to Queens or Western this past fall. Ideally I'd get in somewhere here in Canada, but I've been thinking about applying to the States as well this year. Am I being foolish for trying to improve on this score?

I've been studying for another shot at the MCAT (scheduled for late March). I wrote it for the first time last January and scored a 38N (15/11/12). I was extremely happy with the numerical score, but the Writing Sample killed me. Prevented me from applying to Queens or Western this past fall. Ideally I'd get in somewhere here in Canada, but I've been thinking about applying to the States as well this year. Am I being foolish for trying to improve on this score?

Possibly.

It depends what your average is. If you have written a number of practice exams and are consistently scoring higher, then it might make sense to rewrite.

But losing your 11 in verbal would be disastrous. I really wouldn't take the chance unless in practice exams you're consistently doing better.