Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

3.82 GPA (+/- depending on school), currently in third year undergrad in Ontario

34S (12PS 10VR 12BS) (on practice tests I usually scored 13-15 for PS and 13-14 for BS, but not sure if VR will go up or down if I re-write)

ECs: exec on some clubs, 100 shadowing hours, volunteering locally and abroad, some research, TA for a course

I applied to four Canadian schools this year and got rejected from all of them, should I re-write?

3.82 GPA (+/- depending on school), currently in third year undergrad in Ontario

34S (12PS 10VR 12BS) (on practice tests I usually scored 13-15 for PS and 13-14 for BS, but not sure if VR will go up or down if I re-write)

ECs: exec on some clubs, 100 shadowing hours, volunteering locally and abroad, some research, TA for a course

I applied to four Canadian schools this year and got rejected from all of them, should I re-write?

Personally, I would keep that score (unless you're really confident that your new VR will be >=11)

You'll get more benefit from improving GPA/ECs

Personally, I would keep that score (unless you're really confident that your new VR will be >=11)

You'll get more benefit from improving GPA/ECs

Any advice on where the weaknesses in my ECs lie? And I know this wouldn't change anything, but my low GPA is due only to one course in first year that I bombed Without it, my GPA would be in the 3.9s, but what can you do :(

VR lower than cutoff. GPA too low for 3rd year admissions.

VR lower than cutoffs where? The only school I can think of where my VR is too low is Western.

Any advice on where the weaknesses in my ECs lie? And I know this wouldn't change anything, but my low GPA is due only to one course in first year that I bombed Without it, my GPA would be in the 3.9s, but what can you do :(

You could try to pick up some sports/music, or some other sort of activity that is different from your current ECs (to add more diversity in your experiences)

VR lower than cutoffs where? The only school I can think of where my VR is too low is Western.

I agree, the 10VR is fine. My VR is also 10, but I got an interview at Mac as a 3rd year applicant.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a little too early to be thinking about this already, but I can't help but contemplate a back-up plan, should I not get into a med program this application cycle.

I'm looking for advice on re-writing the MCAT. Here is my background:

UG completed - OMSAS GPA = 3.65

-->weighted ranges from ~3.7 (Queens) to 3.9 (Toronto).

MPH grad (June 2013) - GPA 3.9 - 4.0

Extensive employment, research (no pub yet, but lots of abstracts/conferences), extracurricular and volunteer (well-rounded, good variety)

And the MCAT - right on the border: 10VR 10PS 12BS Q

Currently I've only applied to Ontario schools. I've interviewed at Queens but rejected pre-interview from Mac, Western and Ottawa (still waiting for U of T).

Next applicant cycle I'm not going to bother applying to Ottawa (GPA < 3.85). I would only consider re-writing the MCAT to improve my chances at Western (missed the cut-off by one verbal point) and Mac.

What are your thougths? Is it worth risking a lower score?

• 2 months later...

I'm a PhD applicant from ON finishing up this summer/early fall wondering if I should try to squeeze in an MCAT rewrite. I only got one interview, at U of T, and am on the wait list. I'm assuming I'll have to reapply in October but my VR is probably holding me back.

My OMSAS cGPA is 3.65 and my current MCAT score is 11PS/9VR/12BS Q. My previous MCAT was 14PS/8VR/13BS R.

Should I keep my score or should I re-write on Sept 7, 11, or 12 and apply blindly? I'm older than most premeds and I'd hate to throw an application cycle down the drain if I score lower.

But is the possibility of raising the 9 (and thus potentially opening chances at Queen's and Mac (esp with PhD bonus)) worth the one solid chance at U of T?

I was thinking of signing up for the re-write and only going through with it if I score 13 on the practice tests. In the past I scored 10-11 on practice tests and ended up with 8-9. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Should I take the lack of responses to mean that you guys think this is a difficult decision too? :(

I'm a PhD applicant from ON finishing up this summer/early fall wondering if I should try to squeeze in an MCAT rewrite. I only got one interview, at U of T, and am on the wait list. I'm assuming I'll have to reapply in October but my VR is probably holding me back.

My OMSAS cGPA is 3.65 and my current MCAT score is 11PS/9VR/12BS Q. My previous MCAT was 14PS/8VR/13BS R.

Should I keep my score or should I re-write on Sept 7, 11, or 12 and apply blindly? I'm older than most premeds and I'd hate to throw an application cycle down the drain if I score lower.

But is the possibility of raising the 9 (and thus potentially opening chances at Queen's and Mac (esp with PhD bonus)) worth the one solid chance at U of T?

I was thinking of signing up for the re-write and only going through with it if I score 13 on the practice tests. In the past I scored 10-11 on practice tests and ended up with 8-9. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gotten a chance to go through this but was wondering, do US med schools (preferably top 10) care whether you rewrite the MCAT or not? I've spent a few months this summer but do not feel ready; however, I've been advised by a few people to write it for the sake of experience and that I've already invested some time into it. If I wrote it now and got a 30 for example, and rewrote it next summer and got 35+, would they care and would it impact my chances for acceptance? Schools I plan to apply for include Ivy Leagues, NYU, Boston, UCSF, CWR, Duke, Vand, WashU, Chicago, etc.

I haven't gotten a chance to go through this but was wondering, do US med schools (preferably top 10) care whether you rewrite the MCAT or not? I've spent a few months this summer but do not feel ready; however, I've been advised by a few people to write it for the sake of experience and that I've already invested some time into it. If I wrote it now and got a 30 for example, and rewrote it next summer and got 35+, would they care and would it impact my chances for acceptance? Schools I plan to apply for include Ivy Leagues, NYU, Boston, UCSF, CWR, Duke, Vand, WashU, Chicago, etc.

Many will average the result of multiple MCATs.

I first took the MCAT 2 years ago, scoring 13/10/12/R, and my GPA so far has been 3.87, 3.80, 3.63, 3.89 for a cumulative of 3.8. Being from the GTA, I could only realistically apply to Mac, UofT, and Queens last year, and I didn't manage to get an interview at any of them. After friends with similar grades and fewer ECs got into Western, I decided to rewrite this summer hoping for an 11 in VR - only to get 13/10/12 again.

I know it's a good overall score but it's not good enough for Manitoba, and the 10 still prevents me from applying to Western or Calgary OOP. As it stands I could only really apply to those same 3 schools as last year, and I fear that I'll get rejected across the board again with only a marginal increase in my overall GPA.

My main concern is that I've yet to take an organic chemistry course and I have a very poor grasp of the concepts. On AAMC 3 I scored a 9 in Bio, with nearly all the orgo wrong and everything else right. I have no idea how I managed 12 twice on the real thing, but my luck has to run out soon. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should take a July MCAT for another shot at the 11VR but risk not being eligible for any schools with a 10 BS cutoff.

Thanks to anyone who can provide assistance

• 4 weeks later...

Should I rewrite?

Score: 33Q (11,11,11)

IP for Alberta.

GPA: 3.97

I received an interview this year as a 2nd year IP for U of A, but got rejected post interview. I am applying this cycle as a third year to UBC, U of C, U of A, Queens, Mac, Ottawa, and U of T.

Should I rewrite?

Score: 33Q (11,11,11)

IP for Alberta.

GPA: 3.97

I received an interview this year as a 2nd year IP for U of A, but got rejected post interview. I am applying this cycle as a third year to UBC, U of C, U of A, Queens, Mac, Ottawa, and U of T.

Don't do it, your score is fine

I scored a 10,8,11 (PS, VR, BS) the first time I wrote last year. I felt TERRIBLE when I did the VR section the first time.

I scored a 12,9,10 (PS, VR, BS) on my last MCAT.I felt good after doing the VR section this time around, but got a subpar 9.

I feel like my grades are very strong)(3.9+), however I have poor ECs.

I'm an Ontario applicant so realistically without a 11+ in VR I have no shot at Western, Calgary.

Without a 10+, Queens and McMaster, slim chances there.

Should I rewrite?

I'm currently completing my MSc and ended up COMPLETELY ignoring studying for the MCAT. I have taken it in the past with a score below 30.

I have it booked for the the 28th of August. Since I am somewhat familiar with the material I was thinking of cramming but I am starting to feel a little hopeless and anxious.

I'm looking for some opinions from the wise :)

- Should I cancel?

- Should I focus on VR and possibly get an interview at Mac? However I could end up getting an EVEN WORSE score on the other sections (ah!!!:eek: )

- Forget it all, focus on the thesis, try again in February when things have calmed down.

As usual thanks in advance!

I scored a 10,8,11 (PS, VR, BS) the first time I wrote last year. I felt TERRIBLE when I did the VR section the first time.

I scored a 12,9,10 (PS, VR, BS) on my last MCAT.I felt good after doing the VR section this time around, but got a subpar 9.

I feel like my grades are very strong)(3.9+), however I have poor ECs.

I'm an Ontario applicant so realistically without a 11+ in VR I have no shot at Western, Calgary.

Without a 10+, Queens and McMaster, slim chances there.

Should I rewrite?

Hey!

Ask yourself, if you were to re-rewrite again, do you think you can definitely score greater than 9? If verbal is something you have always struggled with, then don't rewrite again! It's not worth the trouble! A 31 overall is a decent score, and your distribution is decent, so you will be able to get into most schools! I, myself, had a 9 in VR and was able to secure interviews at a wide variety of schools, including UBC, UofT, Calgary and Mac. (NB: Calgary and Mac for the 2011-2012 cycle.) Like you said, your GPA can compensate for your low VR score for some schools.

I'm currently completing my MSc and ended up COMPLETELY ignoring studying for the MCAT. I have taken it in the past with a score below 30.

I have it booked for the the 28th of August. Since I am somewhat familiar with the material I was thinking of cramming but I am starting to feel a little hopeless and anxious.

- Should I cancel?

- Should I focus on VR and possibly get an interview at Mac? However I could end up getting an EVEN WORSE score on the other sections (ah!!!:eek: )

- Forget it all, focus on the thesis, try again in February when things have calmed down.

Do you feel as if your masters work will cause you to not have enough time to study?

- Should I cancel?

Are you planning on applying this year? If so, I would just take it anyways because past MCATs won't harm you, since Canadian schools usually take your best sitting, or the most recent one. if you feel like you can just ace the VR section (>10) then it might be worth it just to do it for Mac. But tbh, i think 10 's in both the science sections is very attaintable too despite little studying.