Premed 101 Forums

Important OMSAS information

Just so we can avoid excess posts, here are a few files containing important admissions information for Ontario. Read this stuff before you make a post (unless you need the info REALLY quickly)!!! Also please feel free to add more info to this thread.

OMSAS 2009 booklet: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/b_omsas_e.pdf

Admission requirements of Canadian faculties of medicine (featuring actual numbers of applicants AND success rates!): http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2008_admissions_book.pdf

application fees.zip

Critical skills for medicine.zip

General OMSAS pre-reqs school info.zip

Important OMSAS dates 2009.zip

OMSAS 2009 grade conversion.zip

• 6 months later...

For local applicants residing in Ottawa the cutoff was 3.70/4.00. Out of region but Ontario applicants was 3.85. Out of province applicants have 3.87 as a cutoff.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Submitting your application sends the actual transcript requests out. You can, however, still log into your account after you submit. This way you can see when your referee letters have arrived, and when your transcripts have been received.

Nope: I didn't have any transcript requests...I got the universities to do it myself. They're all there now though--they just hadn't "processed" me. Now I'm waiting for refs :eek:

Submitting your application sends the actual transcript requests out. You can, however, still log into your account after you submit. This way you can see when your referee letters have arrived, and when your transcripts have been received.

so making a request doesn't get transcripts to be sent? If i recall correctly doesnt it say somewhere on Mcmaster's site that they want the requests for transcipts to be sent by Sept15? OR i am i misremembering?

so making a request doesn't get transcripts to be sent? If i recall correctly doesnt it say somewhere on Mcmaster's site that they want the requests for transcipts to be sent by Sept15? OR i am i misremembering?

I contacted the universities and had them sent myself--you don't need OMSAS to do it (in fact, they'll charge you more for it then some universities!).

• 2 weeks later...

Where exactly will it show that they have recieved letters from my referees?

I'm logged in and clicked on 'If you would like to review the information you submitted for your application click here'... then i scroll down to the 'Referees' section and it just shows me the PDFs of their conf assess. forms and their contact info. That's it. There's no link to show recieved/not yet recieved.

Where exactly will it show that they have recieved letters from my referees?

I'm logged in and clicked on 'If you would like to review the information you submitted for your application click here'... then i scroll down to the 'Referees' section and it just shows me the PDFs of their conf assess. forms and their contact info. That's it. There's no link to show recieved/not yet recieved.

Sometimes it takes awhile, but eventually when you log in you'll see this:

What Now?

Please note that you can no longer make changes to your application within COMPASS.

If you would like to review the information you submitted for your application click here.

If you would like to verify the receipt of your application fees, MCAT, referees or transcripts click here.

To advise OMSAS of changes to your name, address, date of birth or referee information, or to respond to offers of admission, click here to use the Secure Applicant Messaging Tool.

The "click here" will be a link.

• 7 months later...
The guy has a new account made within the last week. That was his first post.

I.e. Noob Troll.

Just to add. For anyone panicking about getting into Med School in Ontario from now until after Thursday.

The offer average is NOT going to be 4.0. The average MCAT score will not be 40+, and no-one is going to get an offer before 9:00AM EST on Thursday (except for some of the specialty programs like MD-PhD which might already be out).

If someone posts about not getting into medicine despite having a 3.96 cGPA + 38 MCAT, they are either lying, had terrible references and ECs, or bombed their interview horrendously.

If someone says that they had 4,000,000 hours of volunteering, had a 4.0 GPA, lived on their own, paid for rent, tuition, food, supported an illegitimate child, and was waitlisted, they are lying.

Grab some perspective this week. The trolls are going to come out. They are going to get a kick out of riling up people who are incredibly anxious.

Speaking of anxiety. Go outside and grab some fresh air. It will do you good. Getting cabin fever inside by spending your entire day on the computer hoping that offers come out early to a computer glitch isn't going to make Thursday come any quicker. Take a break and relax some.

Just to add. For anyone panicking about getting into Med School in Ontario from now until after Thursday.

The offer average is NOT going to be 4.0. The average MCAT score will not be 40+, and no-one is going to get an offer before 9:00AM EST on Thursday (except for some of the specialty programs like MD-PhD which might already be out).

If someone posts about not getting into medicine despite having a 3.96 cGPA + 38 MCAT, they are either lying, had terrible references and ECs, or bombed their interview horrendously.

If someone says that they had 4,000,000 hours of volunteering, had a 4.0 GPA, lived on their own, paid for rent, tuition, food, supported an illegitimate child, and was waitlisted, they are lying.

Grab some perspective this week. The trolls are going to come out. They are going to get a kick out of riling up people who are incredibly anxious.

Speaking of anxiety. Go outside and grab some fresh air. It will do you good. Getting cabin fever inside by spending your entire day on the computer hoping that offers come out early to a computer glitch isn't going to make Thursday come any quicker. Take a break and relax some.

Pretty sure UT sent emails at 6AM last year.

But yeah, I agree with your post!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey,

I am just wondering if there is any way to verify with OMSAS that transcripts and reference letters have been received? Some of the other provinces applications have document tracking that states when documents are received and entered. So i was just wondering if there is anything like this for OMSAS?

thanks !

Hey,

I am just wondering if there is any way to verify with OMSAS that transcripts and reference letters have been received? Some of the other provinces applications have document tracking that states when documents are received and entered. So i was just wondering if there is anything like this for OMSAS?

thanks !

When you sign into OMSAS, there is a section that listed required documents and whether they have been received. It can take a while to update though.