Premed 101 Forums

Anatomy

Guest DannyB

Guest MDWannabe

You may be shocked to learn that Mac does not teach anatomy in the formal sense. The dissections are already done and laid out in 2 large rooms. There are anatomy experts there to review subject matter for you, and they are very good at what they do. But this is not a formal part of the curriculum. The program assumes that some will have extensive knowledge of anatomy and some will be rank beginners, so it is up to you to decide how much or how little formal anatomy training you need.

As a student who hadn't seen a science subject in 23 years before med school, I craved anatomy help in a big way, and a few of up set up regular sessions with some of the very helpful facilitators there. For me the husband and wife team of Drs. Mohaldian and Shali (the latter of which just won an outstanding teaching award this past year) were particularly great. From a textbook point of view, the nonscience students raved over Tortora's Anatomy and Physiology (very well laid out and easy to understand, and great for first year). Those with a better understanding preferred the more cryptic Guyton and Hall. I bought both and found them both useful in their own way.

Guest macdaddyeh

To add to the above poster, I would like to reiterate that at Mac there are NO dissections, only prosections (pre-cut specimens).

However, unless I am wrong (and don't hold this to me), the new curriculum actually has built-in anatomy sessions for the first time this upcoming September, according to one of the anatomy faculty. Of course, things are subject to change, but I think it's pretty much a go, whereas in the past as MDWANNABE pointed out, anatomy was a self-directed learning experience.

I hardly ever pour out my personal opinion on ezboard, but one of my personal self-evaluations is that I wish I spent more time in the anatomy lab this past year, either by myself or with a preceptor. I am NOT saying that this has been a downfall or that I have ever been called on not knowing my anatomy, but it couldn't have hurt either.

Cheers

I am concerned that the lack of dissections will put Mac students at a disadvanatge compared to schools that do dissections. If I wanted the experience, are there no other options available?

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi Jiji:

No reason to be concerned, for two reasons.

First, at Mac things are very self-directed, so you could literally spend 8 hours every day every week in the anatomy lab by yourself or with a professor if you wanted! The exposure, and the depth and breadth of that exposure are all up to you, and your own pace and time can be of great benefit.

Second, Mac never endorses anything for which there is no evidence. I recall being briefly told that studies have shown that dissections are actually a poor way to learn, fumbling through things and not knowing what you're doing or cutting, whereas some research (source unknown) shows that prosections better facilitate learning.

Guest McMastergirl

If you really wanted to do dissections, I bet you could find a way at Mac. And I just want to say that I also highly recommend Dr. Shali, he is an awesome teacher and a very nice and funny guy!

Archived