Premed 101 Forums

Sketch - Research/NSERC

Ladymadchan

Heyyy guys :)

I have a few questions about the Research Section on the Sketch

1) Should I put down a lab experience as research if I don't have a publication? I worked on my own project and everything.

1a) The publication is going to be first author, but unfortunately the publication is still in preparation. I have proof that I'm going to be first author because the sequences are on Gene bank, and the authors are listed in the order that will be used for the paper. Do you think it would be ok if I put the accession number down. I know my professor will vouch for me on this one.

2) I have an NSERC-USRA award, should I put that down as an award or Research. I was looking at the help section for Awards, and that indicates that NSERC and OGS are awards. I think they were talking about the graduate level, so I'd like to put my USRA award down as Research.

Hey ladymadchan,

For 1a) That would definitely go under research, and for where you have to give a detail of publication or whatnot, just put "Publication in progress" or something along those lines.

for 2) I myself had NSERC last summer and for my application I put it down under research. Even though it was an award, I still considered it research since...well...I did research lol.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

I gave the abridged reference. So for example:

Name (date). Journal Title, Vol(#),pgs1-4.

I didn't include the title of the article since they can find it from the ref, and it was also the title of the project, so redundant. And those characters sure are precious! :P

For type of pubication, they mention a reference. Do I need to give the full blown reference to the jounral article, or can I just give the name of the jounral?

I'm only first author on one of my publications. For my others, should I still but Brady et al so that it is apparent my name is on the publication, or is that misleading?

• 3 years later...

From the Ottawa admissions website

"Specify your education level, i.e.: 1st year of university and the title of the project. Indicate the type of publications: paper, abstract and presentation at a scientific meeting etc., accepted or published with a reference, submitted or in preparation."

Honestly, if there is a school that wants to know if a paper is in preparation, I think we should include it. That being said, I wouldn't make a special field just for it. It would be a point in the details of the term in which I did the research.

Archived