Premed 101 Forums

Letters of Reference

I was just wondering if I could get the thoughts of the community on the matter of letters of reference. I wasn't sure if I could get a letter from a specific person so I arranged for a "backup". Now both have actually letters from both, and have to decide which to actually send in. This letters were supposed to be my community/character referee (non-acedemic).

One is my boss at work, where I have worked full time (40 hours a week) for about 4 years. I am a project manager there. Clearly he knows me very well :) My position is project manager at a software development firm, where we write programs for disaster recovery with electrical systems.

The second is at a community centre doing work with alziehmers. I volunteered there 3-4 hours a week or so over the last 3 years or so. Doesn't know me as well, but is more health related.

Anyone else submitting/might submit something from an actual boss? Any other thoughts

Agreed, my boss was my character reference from the beginning...

He knew me well, we play in a football league together, go out golfing and love discussing good movies...

I knew he would have good things to say about me and knew me at a personal level. While he may not be health related I viewed it as a positive that I had a community respected London resident vouching for me.

Hopefully it shows people that don't have much to do with doctors but still know what it is like to go see one think I would be a good doctor. My prof already covered the academic side of it.

However, this is just the way I went about it.... I'm sure you could get differing opinions but either way chose one that will write you a strong letter... Sounds like they both will.

Archived