Premed 101 Forums

3.75 in last two years, what are my chances?

Follow up question is , do you guys think I should do another year of undergrad or I should try to do a Masters program?

And if I should you do a Masters program, whats your view on a one year-course based Masters? How will Queens view it?

You may meet the two year cut-off with 3.75. Last year, we know a person with 3.76 met the cut-off. We have no way to know if that was the minimum, or if it was lower.

If you meet the MCAT cut-off, but not the GPA cut-off, a Masters will help you at Queen's. The specific method of considering students with Masters isn't available. That said, from speaking with people in my class who have Masters degrees, it seems as though their 2-year GPA was closer to the overall GPA cut-off, which you would meet.

Elaine

For graduate students, their 2 year GPA is closer to the cGPA rather than the best-2 year cutoff. Elaine, do you have any idea whether the grad student's 2 year GPA includes their grad courses. This has been suggested in previous threads, but we can never know since Queens doesn't really have any guidelines posted about what they do with grad students.

Thank you guys for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I have some more questions:

(1) Is it GUARANTEED that you will get an interview once you make the GPA and MCAT cut-off? It seems to me that a lot more ppl should be interviewed if that were true.

(2) How does Queens view another year after graduation, but the year isn't part of a second degree?

(3) How is GPA calculated:

Option A

Overall GPA of Second Last Year + Overall GPA of Last year / divided by 2

or

Option B

GPA of all courses in second last year and last year / divided by the total number of courses

(1) Is it GUARANTEED that you will get an interview once you make the GPA and MCAT cut-off? It seems to me that a lot more ppl should be interviewed if that were true.

(2) How does Queens view another year after graduation, but the year isn't part of a second degree?

Option A

or

Option B

GPA of all courses in second last year and last year / divided by the total number of courses

Well, the thing about the cut-offs is that they pretty much have it so that they interview the number that they want. So for a pool of 2000 applicants, they'll figure out a way so that only the top 500-600 are interviewed and whatever the numbers they used are, this is what they publish as the cut-offs. However, they did not do this last year.

People simply used previous years' cut-offs to determine whether they should apply or not, for the most part the cuts hover around the same mark. This is especially true for the GPA. For the MCAT cuts, it's been variable a bit. My first year applying, I was certain I would get an interview based on the previous years cuts. On my 2nd time applying, I figured I was going to get another interview again but the cuts were changed slightly - we suspect that everyhting was lowered to 9,9,9 and the WS raised to R, so I didn't interview.

Basically, if you're close to what the cuts are, you should apply b/c you never know how they're going to change them. If you're way off, then don't.

For the GPA I'm assuming that it's taken from the OMSAS calculation right?

Now, for you - with your last two years being 3.75 and your MCAT score being good, I'd apply.

Hey I'm in the exact same situation... 3.75 and a good MCAT...

I applied and have my fingers crossed....

the extra money is definitely worth it compared to how I would feel if I didn't apply and read on here some getting an interview with a 3.74 or 3.75...

So why not... you can hope that things like the double cohort receding will lower the necessary grades by a decimal pt or two.

Just think... the question last year would have been I have a 3.76 or 3.77 should I apply because the previous year was 3.78... and last year we've heard of people with as low as 3.76 getting interviews...

So apply and cross your fingers like I'm doing lol.

Option A

or

Option B

1. Yes. The cut-offs are established so that the number of people interviewed is the number that the school can handle interviewing.

2. Queen's doesn't care if your courses are part of a degree or not. Therefore, a non-degree year will be counted just as any other year of studies.

3. I think it is option A, but I am less sure of that answer. You may wish to contact Jen Saunders in the admissions office.

Elaine

Archived