Premed 101 Forums

UWO admissions stats are up for the class of 2012

These are some pretty insane stats. Really hope this year is different.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Statistics_Class2012.htm

Applicant Pool: 621

Class Size: 53

Including Internationals: 1

Qualifications of Admitted Applicants:

Class average based on best 2 years prior to admission (%): 88.51

Dental Aptitude Test:

Reading – minimum required for interview: 18/30

Academic Average sectional score used in final offer decision (avg. of class): 20/30

Interview:

Number Interviewed: 273

Minimum % Required to be Interviewed –

based on best 2 years prior to app. deadline: 83.00

Number of Admitted Applicants with Degrees:

39 – HBSc / Honours equivalent 4 Yr. Degrees

5 – MSc

1 - PhD

Demographics:

Median: 26

Average: 26

There's something wrong with UWOs interview invitation methods.

237 invites out of 621 applicants. Almost 40%. That kind of figure is unheard of for Medical school invites. A quick look at McMaster says about 4000 students apply, about 550 are invited for interview. 550/4000 = ~14%. Ouch.

The problem is UWO doesn't cap their invite at a certain number. Instead, when someone who is invited requests a score transfer from another interview, UWO treats this as a new vacancy in the interview roster, and ADD more students. Silliness.

My point is, when 40% of students get an interview, it downplays the significance of overcoming this hurdle. You may have separated yourself from the pack, but not as much as a Med school interview would.

Also, I think that DAT should be weighed more than it currently is.

-Fin-

237 invites out of 621 applicants. Almost 40%. That kind of figure is unheard of for Medical school invites. A quick look at McMaster says about 4000 students apply, about 550 are invited for interview. 550/4000 = ~14%. Ouch.

The problem is UWO doesn't cap their invite at a certain number. Instead, when someone who is invited requests a score transfer from another interview, UWO treats this as a new vacancy in the interview roster, and ADD more students. Silliness.

My point is, when 40% of students get an interview, it downplays the significance of overcoming this hurdle. You may have separated yourself from the pack, but not as much as a Med school interview would.

-Fin-

I don't think their goal for the interview process is to try and make Dental School look like it's hard to get into. This is secondary to the point that they are trying to accept the most qualified applicants.

Nothing is wrong with their methods. UWO is doing what is in UWO's best interest.

They need not consider the interests of a pre-dent who has an pre-med inferiority complex.

I don't think their goal for the interview process is to try and make Dental School look like it's hard to get into. This is secondary to the point that they are trying to accept the most qualified applicants.

Nothing is wrong with their methods. UWO is doing what is in UWO's best interest.

They need not consider the interests of a pre-dent who has an pre-med inferiority complex.

Arine's in dental school man...

-Fin-

I'm not too sure what the big deal is - either way the acceptance rate is below 10% which is rather competitive. And using Mac as an example isn't too good since we all know that school gets a ridiculous amount of applications for a variety of reasons.

I personally think it's great to interview more students. While interviews are not perfect, they are in my opinion the best predictor of potential success. I don't care whether someone has a 82% average of a 94% average, I want someone who can communicate well with others and is friendly. I think interviews should incorporate some non standardized component and account for more value during admissions consideration.

I'm not too sure what the big deal is - either way the acceptance rate is below 10% which is rather competitive. And using Mac as an example isn't too good since we all know that school gets a ridiculous amount of applications for a variety of reasons.

I personally think it's great to interview more students. While interviews are not perfect, they are in my opinion the best predictor of potential success. I don't care whether someone has a 82% average of a 94% average, I want someone who can communicate well with others and is friendly. I think interviews should incorporate some non standardized component and account for more value during admissions consideration.

You know, I hadn't really considered that. I too feel that interviews are the best way to evaluate a student, and agree entirely that it should be given more consideration than the current 25%.

For sure. I also think UWO had so many more "interviews" from score transfers since UofT released their acceptances so early this year.

Interesting thing though, I thought that since so many people interview that perhaps the overall average might decrease from the prior year since you get more students with slightly lower averages having stellar interviews and getting an acceptance. However, the average went up to 88.xx % from the prior year's 84.xx %. And that 84.xx % was from the double cohort.

So hard to explain these things except that I guess things are just getting more and more competitive.

For sure. I also think UWO had so many more "interviews" from score transfers since UofT released their acceptances so early this year.

Interesting thing though, I thought that since so many people interview that perhaps the overall average might decrease from the prior year since you get more students with slightly lower averages having stellar interviews and getting an acceptance. However, the average went up to 88.xx % from the prior year's 84.xx %. And that 84.xx % was from the double cohort.

So hard to explain these things except that I guess things are just getting more and more competitive.

This is definitely true. I think many people on (and off) this forum were accepted to UofT before their UWO interview and just sent in scores rather than making the trip.

I think that while the average GPA went up, they used a lower cut-off for the DAT. ie) started inviting people who had been previously denied an interview because they didn't make the initial cut-off. So they gave a little here, took away a little there.

ya i think the choice is urs...if u're happy with ur performance at one school, u can choose to transfer ur score to the other schools.

Hmm...are you informed of your score so that you can transfer or is it based on gut feeling?

This sure makes the process a little cheaper - save money from having to fly all over the country!

UWO no longer takes the PAT or carving sections into consideration. UofT no longer looks at carving, however, base the interview on the PAT.

Best Regards

Hey guys, I actually attended a free Princeton Review DAT session today and they said that UofT no longer looks at RC and carving, but UWO looks at everything... I asked them if that was really true, and they said yes UWO does look at everything (carving, PAT, sciences, RC) :confused:

Hey guys, I actually attended a free Princeton Review DAT session today and they said that UofT no longer looks at RC and carving, but UWO looks at everything... I asked them if that was really true, and they said yes UWO does look at everything (carving, PAT, sciences, RC) :confused:

Princeton was wrong

I have two questions and it would be great if someone can answer me.

So for UWO,

1-RC is only for cutoff and AA accounts for 15% ???

Or both RC and AA accounts for 15% ???

2-Is it GPA or % for UWO ?

Because these two things can really be very different.

For example 4.0 on GPA scale is 90-100.

By the way I have been to UWO website, and things still not clear.

Thanks in advance for you fellows.

Archived