Premed 101 Forums

U of A Admissions Class of 2012

The admission stats are up for the class of 2012. There are a few interesting changes from last year. For one, the cumulative GPA average has gone up from 3.79 up to 3.85 and the prereq GPA has risen too. It's definitely getting more competitive.

Overall GPA 3.60 - 4.00 (Mean 3.85)

Pre-requisite GPA 3.63 - 4.00 (Mean 3.83)

DAT Reading 17 - 27 (Mean 21.18)

DAT PAT 17 - 25 (Mean 20.86)

DAT Manual 15 - 30 (Mean 24.43)

The admission stats are up for the class of 2012. There are a few interesting changes from last year. For one, the cumulative GPA average has gone up from 3.79 up to 3.85 and the prereq GPA has risen too. It's definitely getting more competitive.

Overall GPA 3.60 - 4.00 (Mean 3.85)

Pre-requisite GPA 3.63 - 4.00 (Mean 3.83)

DAT Reading 17 - 27 (Mean 21.18)

DAT PAT 17 - 25 (Mean 20.86)

DAT Manual 15 - 30 (Mean 24.43)

why are all the schools gone so competitive?

The Grade12+Grade13 effect?

why are all the schools gone so competitive?

At least for the U of A, there have been no new spots created in several years, but the qualified applicants to the program are increasing substantially. Interestingly enough, the pool of those accepted this year is entirely made up of provincial residents, no OoPs. Makes me wonder if they'll be adding new spots in the near future...

The OOP applicants that are accepted into UA have enough qualification to get into univerisities (hometown maybe)? I think most people will prefer somewhere close. Also, why don't you just give it a try? It is only 200 bucks, when a pack of soap costs 36!

I hope it makes a straightforward message to OOP applicants at U of A and (rest of unis in Can) , DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY THERE.

I have heard that UA Dental School is in need of some reform. The biggest criticism is that it's a bit dated compared to other Schools across Canada where they start Dent right away rather than spend two years learning Med first.

Dated? The switch to a combined medical curriculum is actually fairly new. Schools that adhere to the original program (i.e. all dentistry all the time) would technically be 'dated'.

No one dental school is perfect. Students will always find something to complain about - even at the best schools. When it comes down to it, Canadian dental schools are pretty damn good and I would gladly attend any one of them. I chose the U of A four years ago and I don't regret my decision. Sure, we did two years of Medicine, not all of it was relevant, but most of it has proven useful. And we still got to learn 'dentistry' in the summer.

My two cents,

ap

I hope 2 years of med does come useful.

Cuz right now, I feel like a med student and I've been in the program for only a month.

Dated? The switch to a combined medical curriculum is actually fairly new. Schools that adhere to the original program (i.e. all dentistry all the time) would technically be 'dated'.

No one dental school is perfect. Students will always find something to complain about - even at the best schools. When it comes down to it, Canadian dental schools are pretty damn good and I would gladly attend any one of them. I chose the U of A four years ago and I don't regret my decision. Sure, we did two years of Medicine, not all of it was relevant, but most of it has proven useful. And we still got to learn 'dentistry' in the summer.

My two cents,

ap

Hey All,

I am currently at the U of A and loving it. They announced 20 million in new funding for the program just a couple of weeks ago, and one of our profs said the money would ensure more exposure to specialties and updated equipment etc. The med component seems useful and interesting to me. We also have 2 dental courses on top of med school. Then we have 12 weeks of purely dental in the summer (it is basically a 5 year program in 4 years). As has already been mentioned, the integration with med school is actually seen by institutions as progressive. They are basically positioning dentistry as a medical specialty.

Yes, it looks like stats are getting more competitive. Despite the high marks, we have a well rounded class. I totally recommend the U of A. I love it when i hear people say that they are happy to be somewhere else because their school has updated facilities etc. As if you would choose new countertops over staying in Alberta and saving big time cash (just accept the fact that you didn't make the cut). I just paid half of my tuition and it came out to about 9K (BC was a few times that I’m sure). Anyway, that's my rant for the day. Wish you all the best. Keep your heads up and good luck with DATS, applications etc.

Oh yeah,

I think about 6 people in my class got 30s on the soap carving. Isn't that nuts? I guess someone had to bring up the average after my 17 lol. There are actually a couple 15s in my class too. Surprise, surprise, we are starting to wax up teeth and one of the students who got a 15 on the soap is probably the best tooth waxer in the class. What a crap shoot that soap is.

They announced 20 million in new funding for the program just a couple of weeks ago, and one of our profs said the money would ensure more exposure to specialties and updated equipment etc.

dgundy9, do you know any details about when the new clinic will be completed? I'm impressed with the quality of the new med building and I'm curious as to what is in the immediate future for Dent at UA. I'm in my second year of undergrad (applying at UA Dent for entry next fall) and am interested in hearing about some of these details.

Archived