Premed 101 Forums

What "pre-med" program offers good background for med school?

taicheng

General science, handleyj. Okay...so what you are telling me is that it would be more wise to find a program with less students enrolled in the program because I have a better chance of standing out? Meaning...that I will have better references and so? I've done some research and:

-Waterloo accepts 170 students to their Honours Science program (where I must apply for biomedical science) (competitive?)

-Western accepts 1100 to their biology and medical science program (I'm lost here...isn't the medical science science progam hard to get into? Does anyone know numbers for med sci only? Also...what's the difference if you specialize in med sci, microbiology, toxicology / patholoy...etc...asides from self interest? Does it affect med school acceptance chances?)

-McMaster accepts 945 students to their life sciences program (competitive?)

-Guelph accepts 100 students to their biomedical sciences program (is this a really competitive program for guelph?)

So...out of those programs, what would be the pros and cons of each?

Aside: Health Sciences is not in my choices anymore :)...thanks to all those helped me narrow things down!

McMaster's life science program is not a competitive program to get into. However, the path to medical school from the life science program (like many others..) is varied upon the individual, you encounter some people who are off the charts in terms of achievements and honours, but at the same time you have some people who's sole purpose in the program is to party/get laid. Compared to other more specialized majors such as biology, biochemistry, pharmacology.., the life science program gives you more freedom to choose courses in the humanities/social sciences to attain your medical prereqs.

I could probably say some stuff about Waterloo too, I went there for a year. Waterloo's science courses are generally easier than Mac's science courses. However, it is not quite true once you enter into their biomedical science program. One of the purposes of the biomedical science program is to prepare you for optometry anyway (previously called pre-med/pre-op!), so if you go there you can pursue two paths in full gear instead of one.

Ok for Guelph BioMed a 75% average must be maintained to stay in the program if not you are demoted to bio sci ( us biomed people kinda talk **** b/c we got in while the bio sci didn't:D ).

It is supposedly the most competitive program to get into at Guelph simply by looking at the cutoff it will have at least a 82% which is higher than all the others for Guelph.

Cons for Guelph BioMed are that some of the people are very competitive once you get in; not many cons I have seen so far. Pro is that you are given preference to anatomy labs over all other students.

Once again a push for Guelph is that next semester I have a class with a size of 4 people being taught by the PRESIDENT of the university ( might look good as a reference;) )

Most important go where YOU feel that YOU can succeed. Not because the stats are with you and what not.

General science, handleyj. Okay...so what you are telling me is that it would be more wise to find a program with less students enrolled in the program because I have a better chance of standing out? Meaning...that I will have better references and so? I've done some research and:

-Waterloo accepts 170 students to their Honours Science program (where I must apply for biomedical science) (competitive?)

-Western accepts 1100 to their biology and medical science program (I'm lost here...isn't the medical science science progam hard to get into? Does anyone know numbers for med sci only? Also...what's the difference if you specialize in med sci, microbiology, toxicology / patholoy...etc...asides from self interest? Does it affect med school acceptance chances?)

-McMaster accepts 945 students to their life sciences program (competitive?)

-Guelph accepts 100 students to their biomedical sciences program (is this a really competitive program for guelph?)

So...out of those programs, what would be the pros and cons of each?

Aside: Health Sciences is not in my choices anymore :)...thanks to all those helped me narrow things down!

Here's an idea for numbers and cutoff averages for UWO BMSc modules for students entering their final year last year.

http://uwo.ca/bmsc/PDF/W06-08_cutoff_averages.pdf

Archived