Premed 101 Forums

A little worried about current situation

The bottom line is - when you're not confident about your preparedness, just be patient and wait.

One year isn't a big deal - I'm in my late 20s just to give you some perspective. There's lots of time.

If you do end up having to retake it, you'll have to do really well the 2nd time - US schools place a lot of emphasis on how many attempts you've taken at these standardized tests. You know that - why risk it?

So, I've decided to apply to McGill for the '09 cycle (deadline is january 15 for IP applicants). Since I won't be taking the Canadian DAT (registration is closed), McGill said it would accept my American DAT scores. I can pretty much take the American DAT anytime I want before that deadline and apply. Only problem is, I'd be taking the American DAT 3 months early only to apply to McGill, since I won't be applying to US schools for the '09 cycle, but the '10 cycle. Given my current state of preparation, I doubt I'll be able to do exceptionally well on the DAT (good background on gen chem, orgo, and QR, but zero preparation for PAT and RC, and well, Bio is...bio). I've been asking around, but I would like to get some opinions here; is it worth risking a probable retake for a chance not to lose an entire year before entering dental school, or should i just forgo applying to McGill this cycle, and instead take the DAT in april of '09 and apply to US schools and McGill for the '10 cycle instead? Because I know how bad a retake looks, and a lot of schools have begun implementing the 2 retakes max policy.

From my experience, 2 months is PLENTY of time, just commit yourself.

Archived