Premed 101 Forums

KT's Pre-med wiki sticky?

Flame219

Hey guys,

It had never struck me before, but I've come across KennethToronto's pre-med wiki several times and I found it quite useful in terms of leading people in the right directions for applying to American medical schools. There are a lot of useful information and I believe that we should let people know by expanding it and promoting it as a sticky. Things like sonyviao's list could be implied inside and updated should one not see fit. What do you guys think?

KT's wiki is: http://wiki.studentdoc.ca/index.php/Main_Page

Hey Flame219, thanks for the positive reviews.

During the summer, I incorporated part of SonyVaio's list and updated it with my own experience here:

http://wiki.studentdoc.ca/index.php/Canadian_friendly_schools

I hope the current Canadians applying to the US add to it...because trust me, your memory of the application process disappears quite rapidly!

Awesome wiki KT. The part about financing though gave me a heart attack! :eek: I am so glad I have wealthy parents to help out... I don't know how anyone manages that alone.

I actually wanted to ask a question about that, especially in light of the financial crisis...

From what I understand is that we have available, $150K from the bank (I assume due to the credit crunch banks might be hesitant to up that value) and approx. $40K from the government. This totals $190K available for tuition + living

Of course looking at the data in the wiki, the cost for the US schools is around $240K (more if you account for our dollar being in the tank) or so. EVEN IF you don't count the accruing interest on the line of credit this leaves you short approx $50K. So my question is where does everyone plan on getting this extra $50K? Unfortunately I definitely don't have wealthy family members. Is there really a point in applying to US for someone in my situation, considering the fact that I can't finance the extra $50K :confused:

edit: sorry I realized I kind of derailed the thread but I thought it would be easier to post a reply since the financial issue was raised and I got a lot of the info from the wiki anyway.

where there's a will, there's a way...

at least that's what my father said when I told him about the costs of medical school. If your parents, family and friends are supportive of you, you'll find a way...

My father said that he may be able to help me by re-financing their home... I hate the idea of him doing this, but I may have to ask my parents to do it :(

where there's a will, there's a way...

at least that's what my father said when I told him about the costs of medical school. If your parents, family and friends are supportive of you, you'll find a way...

My father said that he may be able to help me by re-financing their home... I hate the idea of him doing this, but I may have to ask my parents to do it :(

lol mine said the same:p and yeah I thought of the re-financing the home thing, but firstly I dont think we could do that, and also I wouldn't want to put my family in that situation because I still have a younger sibling who still has to go through University

true, but it's possible is all

it is also possible to get a $200K LOC

I've discussed this with some folks at RBC and they said it's possible if your cosigner has the financial collateral to back it up. So, that's about $240K in total. The rest, well, hopefully you've saved up or you can ask your parents for more cash...

Archived