Premed 101 Forums

Let me introduce myself ...

Hi NOSM prospective students!

Going through the different school boards, I noticed that the NOSM one is the least active! Why is that?

I would like to get to know some of you better, as ideally we could end up in the same class!

I am applying to NOSM for the first time this year. I hope I at least get granted an interview. I am not from Northern Ontario. However, i'm from a rural (pop. 2,000) French-Ontarian town and have had experience working in Virginiatown (Northern Ontario) and Pond Inlet (Nunavut). My brother got an interview last year, but did not make it to the wait list. Although my brother didn't get in, I think that the fact he got granted an interview even though he is not from the North is good news for me, right? We will see in 2009!

I applied to the French program in Ottawa in 2006, got an interview but was not selected in the final class. I took a year off to finish my second undergraduate degree as well as a certificate in palliative care (one of my many passions). I'm applying to a Masters in Social Work at the University of Ottawa as my plan B.

I have just registered today after being a creeper for a couple of years now. Can't wait to hear from you!

This is also my first year to actually submit the application. For three years I have held off on submission, but decided that this year was the one to take the big plunge and apply.

South Eastern BC was home for my entire life. Definitely rural, the closest incorporated town has less than 5000 resident, hopefully a mark in my favour. For the past 10 years I have been involved in environmental education and now work in a more traditional classroom setting in Alberta.

The opening of NOSM is the reason that I have returned to my original undergrad interest in the medical field. We need programs following the rural preparation model throughout Canada and I sincerely hope that this experiment in Ontario is successful and replicated in more locations.

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

figured I'd take today to officially 'join' the NOSM group. It's also my first year applying. I'm a 'mature' (eek!) student applying from Sudbury. I'm a non-trad student (M.A. in literature, no sciences) and I'm a high school teacher. I'm thinking of this year as my 'practice round' application. I'd love to get an interview this year, and hope to pump up my next application by starting to volunteer in the E.R. here and by getting some more first aid qualifications. (Figure the best mindset here is to be excited, but not pin all my hopes on getting in).

The more I read about the program, the more excited I am about the idea of the whole process. I had a fantastic meeting with a fourth-year student (friend of a friend) who also came from a non-science background, and who is loving the process.

Is anyone else a mature applicant? Or coming from a non-science background? I'd love to hear about how you're approaching the application process.

Cheers!

I think you have a good chance, Sarah!

Coming from a small town, and (presumably) being bilingual, I think you are a great candidate, provided you meet the minimums.

This is my first year applying, and I only applied to Mac and NOSM. I hope I get into NOSM, as I've got family around Sudbury, and I truly love it up there. The way the program is structured sounds really great, too. Very novel, in that students can be -anywhere- in Northern Ontario during the process. Lots of online work, which facilitates learning away from campus.

I'm just finishing up my undergrad (in psychology), and am just waiting for an interview, now. Luckily (I think?), I am so busy these days that I've not worried about (or barely thought of) the interviews. I figure over Christmas break I will delve into preparation for the process. Haha, it'll be a big let-down if I don't get offered an interview at either school! We'll see! :)

Chris

Hello all,

First year applying as well.

Mature student, non-traditional background, but I've been working on my science pre-reqs (slowly) over the past two years.

Not from the North, so we'll see how that impacts my application. Rural background, so maybe that'll help.

Also a fan of the NOSM program. Would love to go there.

Good luck to you all!

• 1 month later...

Heya,

just wondering why you feel that first aid qualifications would contribute to your application?

Cheers,

UT Medicine IT2

Hi everyone,

figured I'd take today to officially 'join' the NOSM group. It's also my first year applying. I'm a 'mature' (eek!) student applying from Sudbury. I'm a non-trad student (M.A. in literature, no sciences) and I'm a high school teacher. I'm thinking of this year as my 'practice round' application. I'd love to get an interview this year, and hope to pump up my next application by starting to volunteer in the E.R. here and by getting some more first aid qualifications. (Figure the best mindset here is to be excited, but not pin all my hopes on getting in).

The more I read about the program, the more excited I am about the idea of the whole process. I had a fantastic meeting with a fourth-year student (friend of a friend) who also came from a non-science background, and who is loving the process.

Is anyone else a mature applicant? Or coming from a non-science background? I'd love to hear about how you're approaching the application process.

Cheers!

Well,

two reasons, mainly. First, it's just a little more related subject knowledge and considering the hours required, I could use it as an extra extra-curricular on an application.

Second, apparently NOSM has been a bit irked (in the past, anyway) by the number of med students who lack basic first aid. Friends have told me that faculty advisors have practically pushed students into Red Cross courses.

So how can it hurt, right?

Well,

....faculty advisors have practically pushed students into Red Cross courses.

So how can it hurt, right?

It certainly is good to learn something that you feel you have an interest in, and knowing basic first aid is obviously a beneficial skill everyone can use, so in that sense, you are right that it won't hurt. But, I have to say I've never heard of any faculty advisor directing a student to take a Red Cross course, and, having a first aid course won't bring extra credit or special bonus points on your application beyond what volunteer/extra curics would normally give you.

Spending some time thinking over the answers to the questions on the application, and expressing yourself well so that NOSM can see what makes you tick will go far. It is amazing how many times people are encouraged to get a proof reader, but don't take that step.

Good luck on your application!

Archived