Premed 101 Forums

BSc (Medicine) during preclinical years

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

Hey everyone,

Just curious as to thoughts about pursuing a BSc (Medicine) during the preclinical years. If you are someone who is unsure about what residency you would like to pursue, but do enjoy academia and think that being a prof in addition to having a clinical practice is something that you see in your future, then is this a good route? Or, would it simply be more beneficial to take research electives in the summers, etc.?

Thanks,

Druggist

Guest summervirus

I'm a bit confused. I'm not exactly sure what your question is. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a BSc (Medicine). The closest thing I can think of is a MBBS (Bachelor's of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery), which is offered outside of North America and equivalent to our MD (Medical Doctorate). Although medical school is considered an undergraduate program here in Canada, students are given an MD, not a Bachelor's upon successful completion.

Typically, many students obtain a Bachelor's degree, usually in the sciences before starting medical school. If that's what you mean by pursuing a BSc, then some people have found it useful if they are planning on incorporating research into their future careers in addition to clinical medicine. As an example, one of my teachers obtained a BSc (Biochemistry), then pursued graduate studies in that area and when he became an MD, he chose the area of Endocrinology. He currently practices as an Endocrinologist but also performs basic science and clinical research based on his background in biochemistry.

clinical practice is something that you see in your future, then is this a good route? Or, would it simply be more beneficial to take research electives in the summers, etc.?

Guest Lactic Folly

I've only ever heard of the BScMed (as a research designation) at Manitoba.. I suspect it is the research experience itself (and publications, etc.) that matters more than the designation, but you might try posting in that forum.

Guest clinicalchief

MUN used to offer a B.Med.Sc. degree to all medical students once the pre-clerkship phase was complete, and of course MD once the 4 years was complete. Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe they stopped doing this a few years ago.

cc

Guest summervirus

Oooh! I think I know what you're talking about now. The UofA also gives students a BMSc upon completion of the first two years of medical school if they have previous completed 2/3 years of a BSc before starting medical school.

However, students here don't have to drop out of clerkship to obtain a BMSc. (I'll be receiving a BMSc next month and I'm planning on completing medical school).

Guest CaesarCornelius

DAL also has a BScMed program. It is basically a way to get research in during your medicine training. You commit your two summers ($6000/summer) and your first two year electives to the project. The requirements to graduate are that you write a thesis and defend it.

Its great if you think you know what you want to do and its a competetive specialty, however, it is a big committment and a lot of work!

CC

I have a somewhat related question (Sorry druggist for piggybacking).. I'm currently in 3rd year and waiting to hear back from UofT. If I were to get in, I'd have the option of deferring to finish up my HonBSc. How much would that help me in the future, given that at the moment (of course things might change) I'm thinking of going into a pediatric subspecialty (i.e. cardiology or endo) and being involved in clinical research. Would not having a BSc be detrimental?

Thanks!

Guest summervirus

I don't think that it would necessarily detrimental as there have been many people in the past that have gone into similar specialties with BSc's. However, I think there's an increasing trend for people to train as MD/PhD's, especially when pursuing basic science research.

But it's important to remember that you do not need a BSc to do an MD/PhD program. One of my classmates (and summervirus') completed only 2 years of science, got into med, and is now doing his PhD before clerkship....

Guest druggist

Hey everyone,

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by a BSc (Med) program. Dalhousie offers students enrolled in the four year MD program a chance to enroll concurrently in a BSc (Med) program (in addition to the MD program--ie, being enrolled in the MD program is a prerequisite) during the first two, preclinical, years. This program requires the combined MD/BSc (Med) student to complete a entire research project, from start to finish during the preclinical years, and includes a thesis (and hopefully 1 or 2 pubs) and accompanying defense. The program requires that all of your preclinical electives and summers are spent working on your thesis project. The program may invollve either clinical or basic (or combined) research, and is done with a certain faculty (eg, pharmacology, biochemistry, surgery, whatever). It appears equivalent to a honors program, but strictly for medical students.

I was wondering if doing this program, as it requires that all of the year 1 and 2 electives be spent working on your thesis project, would hurt you, or help you if you were interested in a specialty, but weren't sure which.

Any thoughts?

Again, sorry about not being clear initially, and thanks for trying to answer my question.

Cheers,

Druggist

Hey Druggist,

I'm not any more familiar with the program than you are, but perhaps Dal can put you in contact with current/past BSc (Med) students.

• 1 year later...

Archived