Premed 101 Forums

Your passion,

Hi all,

I'm a confused 2nd year studying biochem.

I still don't really know what I'd love to do for the rest of my life. :(

I've considered med school, dental school ..and maybe grad school.

I have the marks (so far) to get into med/dental but I don't know if that's what I really want. I haven't done any major extra-curriculars (maybe that's why I'm so lost), so I've thought about taking a year off schol (maybe after 4th year) and just trying different things and volunteer.

I wanted to know why you chose to go into dentistry? What's your drive?

And if you have any suggestions as to what I should do during my year off school, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks alot,

Janet.

Hi all,

I'm a confused 2nd year studying biochem.

I still don't really know what I'd love to do for the rest of my life. :(

I've considered med school, dental school ..and maybe grad school.

I have the marks (so far) to get into med/dental but I don't know if that's what I really want. I haven't done any major extra-curriculars (maybe that's why I'm so lost), so I've thought about taking a year off schol (maybe after 4th year) and just trying different things and volunteer.

I wanted to know why you chose to go into dentistry? What's your drive?

And if you have any suggestions as to what I should do during my year off school, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks alot,

Janet.

First of all, sorry guys for posting this in the Dental forum, but have you looked into Optometry schools as well? For one thing, if you're undecided, it's best to investigate different career paths to make sure which one is the most suitable for you. The reason why I would recommend optometry is that it is (compared to medicine and dentistry) relatively non-invasive. Also, I've talked to many people studying optometry, who are practicing right now, and prospective optometry students that it is a relatively laid-back job to allow practitioners to harness considerable time to take care of their families. Well, I guess that's why the majority of the class are made up by females. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just to add, McMaster offers one year masters programs in Psychology.

Oh, I should've elaborated to avoid misinformation. The psychology program I was talking about is the research oriented psychology program, in which you could advance to the PhD program after one year of masters studies, making it a "one-year masters program". A lot of students I've seen have taken this route for graduate studies, because after one year if they do not have much success with their professional schools applications, they could directly pursue the PhD program, instead of completing the two years for masters. One point though, is that if you go to the PhD program after one year you ARE NOT granted an MSc degree. It is just a fast-track option in that students there become PhD's a year sooner than most others.

The program could be found on the graduate calendar page here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/graduate/grad_calendar.pdf

However, I have talked to students in the master's psych program at mac before and they did mention a course-based masters program which I can't find on the calendar. Maybe you can ask the graduate program director for psychology to find that out.

My passion is people - so any of your professional school options would have worked for me. I chose dentistry for the great work/life balance potential, being able to work with my hands, the autonomy, etc. Work and/or school has never been my only focus and I hope it never will be! I have a lot of extra-curricular interests, so a career that gives me a good balance to be able to do the other things I love, is one I will enjoy!

Good luck :)

-Very strong business aspect with Dentistry. You have complete control over your finances and well-being of your practice. Some said that when you start owning your own practice, it is 50% of the time invested, rather than doing clinical work. I grew up in a business setting so I think I have a lot to gain from doing dentistry

-I enjoy working with my hands and I'm quite meticulous. You should try doing some carvings that are required on the DAT. Some people drop the idea of dentistry right away when they learn that they just can do good at the carving.

-I really enjoy social interaction, and you meet new people everyday in dentistry and learn about them as patients.

-Dentistry is a very well respected profession. And I can take wednesday's off to play golf ;)

-Financial security is a choice for everyone who chooses dentistry. There is no shame in that, many of us know that there is more to life than school and even your job, and having a profession that can give you the flexibility to experience what you love is very important to me.

So if one starts the occupational health program by sept 09, he needs to finish it up by July in order to register for Aug entry dent, right? is it possible to finish the master's program in 10 month???

nah, actually I just checked the website again. It said "most students typically extend the length of their study into the fall semester". This is so frustrating.

sometimes passion isn't enough to do something right though. sometimes people recognize you're very good at something but it's something you're not that passionate about. i suggest you go with what people tell you you're very good at. there's a bigger chance that it's true if a lot of people confirm it.

I would have to disagree.

If you lack the passion for something, you can still be good at it, but you will never be creative or innovative. You just won't care, and eventually you'll hate the task you were good at.

If you're passionate about something you will find a way to improve yourself so that you do become good at it, and it won't seem like a chore that you're burdening yourself with. You don't have to be born amazing. You can learn from hard work, the experiences of others, practice, being innovative, etc.

One lifetime is a very long sentence if you've got to do something where your heart just isn't in it.

Arnie's right no passion = no innovation but more importantly no adventure. In dentistry you can be doing the same thing all day long day in and day out and if you're not passionate about it you won't care. Dentistry unfortunately is a field where some still provide the 1970's model of care and things still work. Imaging an oncologist using drugs from the 70's to treat cancer people would think they were wacko. Frankly it's sad some of the stuff we're taught in Canadian dental schools is behind the curve when it comes to our neighbours to the south so keep your eyes open and go to conferences as much as possible.

@ stellargellar you may be somewhat right a prof of mine told me one of his classmates only did exams and referrals cause he was really bad with his hands but I'm pretty sure if he wanted to he could have eventually gotten decent.

Archived