Premed 101 Forums

Diversity of UBC Med Students

I guess this is more of a question for current med school students, but how diverse is the UBC Med student body in terms of sexual orientation? Also, how heteronormative do things tend to be (professors, admin, classes in general)?

Also, it seems as though the admissions process takes into consideration diversity of experience, but does it account for diversity of sexual orientation at all? Anyone with any insights, I'd love to hear from you.

I guess this is more of a question for current med school students, but how diverse is the UBC Med student body in terms of sexual orientation? Also, how heteronormative do things tend to be (professors, admin, classes in general)?

Also, it seems as though the admissions process takes into consideration diversity of experience, but does it account for diversity of sexual orientation at all? Anyone with any insights, I'd love to hear from you.

You sound like you're using the answers for a study of some sort.

Why would they take this into account?

Everyone values diversity but I don't think schools actively try to make their classes diverse, you're not going to get extra points for being homosexual. It says it on their website, they do not take into consideration your race, sexual orientation, religion, etc....

Why would they take this into account?

Everyone values diversity but I don't think schools actively try to make their classes diverse, you're not going to get extra points for being homosexual. It says it on their website, they do not take into consideration your race, sexual orientation, religion, etc....

Yeah, I believe this is how it works in Canada (with the exception of aboriginals); but don't the States operate differently? With respect to race anyway...

That would be "questioning", usually (I've also seen it stand for "queer", but that is becoming more of a no-no, as was mentioned).

the history is that 'queer' used to be a derogatory word, still is to some folks. however, during the 1980's there was a whole movement called Queer Nation, and other things, to reclaim the word Queer - i.e. take something that had a painful hurtful sting to it, and celebrate it so that its meaning would be reclaimed by the queer community as something celebratory. that worked within the queer community. and often 'queer' is an umbrella term for the rest of the alphabet soup. i'm surprised to see that so many youngsters think the word is negative, which leads me to believe that campus life is not the same as it used to be, i.e. less likely to know of social justice movements by being at university, less likely to know about lgbt issues, just by being at university. anyways - that's where the queer thing stands.

^ yes.

To 'meme me', I appreciate your concern over how the term 'queer' was once a negative term, and still can be used that way. This brings up a good point that you shouldn't ever categorize people as being 'straight' or whatever without actually knowing how they prefer to be considered.

...however, I believe the current non-homosexual list includes, but is not limited to, GLBTT2IQQ (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, transsexual, two-spirited, intersexed, queer, and questioning). 'Queer' is the umbrella term.

In related news, shame on California over prop 8 propaganda.

... which leads me to believe that campus life is not the same as it used to be, i.e. less likely to know of social justice movements by being at university, less likely to know about lgbt issues, just by being at university. anyways - that's where the queer thing stands.

I hope this isn't a conclusion you've inferred solely from this forum, because in my experience at UBC many students understand, appreciate, and use the term "queer" in lieu of other labels that individuals may not identify with: homosexual, bisexual, two-spirited, pansexual, gay etc. Maybe it's limited to this forum :)

What I do find sad on this forum, however, is the seemingly intrinsic usage of labelling/implying that someone is "gay" as a joke***. This would equate to calling someone "retarded" or dropping the N-bomb in order to debase another individual. This is especially alarming in light of the fact that the forum users are aspiring doctors/dentists, perhaps soon to be in the position of initiating therapeutic relationships with the individuals that may fall under such labels.

***All the more alarming, these individuals tend to post with such high frequency that forum examples are much too ubiquitous. Of course, I'm not pointing any fingers.