Premed 101 Forums

UBC - 90% in province - What will be the effect?

Well I am guessing that if the class is going to be 90% IP that they will interview the same proportion - meaning they would have a separate pool for OOP and IP applicants - at least that is how some medschools do it when there is preference for IP.

I am sure the reason for doing this is to try and keep more dentists in the province.

Anyone know around how many out of province people actually are in ubc dentistry? Because even if 50% of the people interviewed in the past were oop, I'm pretty sure the entering class isn't 50% oop seeing as ubc probably isn't their first choice and they may have gotten accepted elsewhere.

With this 90% rule, a maximum of four people in the entering class can be oop. I'm just wondering how much this new rule will benefit us in province students. For example, if the entering class usually only has around 7-8 oop people, this 90% rule won't have that much of an effect right? It all depends on how many people in the entering class were out of province in the past.

Anyone know around how many out of province people actually are in ubc dentistry? Because even if 50% of the people interviewed in the past were oop, I'm pretty sure the entering class isn't 50% oop seeing as ubc probably isn't their first choice and they may have gotten accepted elsewhere.

With this 90% rule, a maximum of four people in the entering class can be oop. I'm just wondering how much this new rule will benefit us in province students. For example, if the entering class usually only has around 7-8 oop people, this 90% rule won't have that much of an effect right? It all depends on how many people in the entering class were out of province in the past.

This is true.... However, UBC is in, arguably, the nicest city in Canada. But then again, the tuition is the highest in Canada (right?). Does any1 know how many oops there are? The class is about 45 students?

Traditionally, the UBC DMD class is about 40 students unless they plan on increasing the number of seats (which I hope they do).

Also, that is correct, UBC tuition is the highest in the country. At pushing close to 50k CDN a year for tuition and clinical fees, it makes it rival the tuition at US schools. However, my dentist has funded and donated lots of money to their new facilities, and apparently it is absolutely state of the art. I know that I would go there if I got accepted (and yes I did apply, who else did btw?).

I would also agree to say that the average GPA will probably go down this year because they are only accepting IP students. I wouldn't go as far to say that the GPA's for UBC students are less (or that they are dumber) but I would go as far as to say that UBC does use a percentage based scale for grades, which doesn't help them in the application process. Whereas a 4.0 gpa scale being converted to percentages does help you.

For example, getting an A or a 4.0 would be converted to say (hypothetically) a 90% on the UBC scale. I know that in a lot of my classes where I have gotten an A, I haven't broke touched or broke 90%. It seems to me that it works to your advantage. Also, getting a 90% also seems to be a lot harder than getting an A. Hopefully some people can understand my reasoning here...

I would agree that UBC students are at a disadvantage, because courses are harder and the competition is fiercer than other Canadian schools, but I don't quite understand what you are saying with the A vs 90%. For me to get a 4.0 I need a 90%+ in a class, we call this an A+, and a 3.9 is a 85-90%, and this is an A.

Fact of the matter is, that you didn't have to go to UBC, you could have gone somewhere else. Personally, I don't feel sorry for UBC students for this reason: we all had the choice, unfortunately, some people didn't think far enough ahead.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but at the same time I'm tired of hearing UBC and UofT students *****ing about the injustices they've faced.

Traditionally, the UBC DMD class is about 40 students unless they plan on increasing the number of seats (which I hope they do). Also, that is correct, UBC tuition is the highest in the country. At pushing close to 50k CDN a year for tuition and clinical fees, it makes it rival the tuition at US schools. However, my dentist has funded and donated lots of money to their new facilities, and apparently it is absolutely state of the art. I know that I would go there if I got accepted (and yes I did apply, who else did btw?). I would also agree to say that the average GPA will probably go down this year because they are only accepting IP students. I wouldn't go as far to say that the GPA's for UBC students are less (or that they are dumber) but I would go as far as to say that UBC does use a percentage based scale for grades, which doesn't help them in the application process. Whereas a 4.0 gpa scale being converted to percentages does help you. For example, getting an A or a 4.0 would be converted to say (hypothetically) a 90% on the UBC scale. I know that in a lot of my classes where I have gotten an A, I haven't broke touched or broke 90%. It seems to me that it works to your advantage. Also, getting a 90% also seems to be a lot harder than getting an A. Hopefully some people can understand my reasoning here...

I would agree that UBC students are at a disadvantage, because courses are harder and the competition is fiercer than other Canadian schools, but I don't quite understand what you are saying with the A vs 90%. For me to get a 4.0 I need a 90%+ in a class, we call this an A+, and a 3.9 is a 85-90%, and this is an A.

Fact of the matter is, that you didn't have to go to UBC, you could have gone somewhere else. Personally, I don't feel sorry for UBC students for this reason: we all had the choice, unfortunately, some people didn't think far enough ahead.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but at the same time I'm tired of hearing UBC and UofT students *****ing about the injustices they've faced.

i don't think any of us knew what the curriculum was like or how difficult it would be in high school and besides some people would rather go to a school close to home

i think ubc used to accept quite a few oop before so the admission avg will probably go down slightly this year since the GPA conversion helped the OOPs

Traditionally, the UBC DMD class is about 40 students unless they plan on increasing the number of seats (which I hope they do).

Also, that is correct, UBC tuition is the highest in the country. At pushing close to 50k CDN a year for tuition and clinical fees, it makes it rival the tuition at US schools. However, my dentist has funded and donated lots of money to their new facilities, and apparently it is absolutely state of the art. I know that I would go there if I got accepted (and yes I did apply, who else did btw?).

I would also agree to say that the average GPA will probably go down this year because they are only accepting IP students. I wouldn't go as far to say that the GPA's for UBC students are less (or that they are dumber) but I would go as far as to say that UBC does use a percentage based scale for grades, which doesn't help them in the application process. Whereas a 4.0 gpa scale being converted to percentages does help you.

For example, getting an A or a 4.0 would be converted to say (hypothetically) a 90% on the UBC scale. I know that in a lot of my classes where I have gotten an A, I haven't broke touched or broke 90%. It seems to me that it works to your advantage. Also, getting a 90% also seems to be a lot harder than getting an A. Hopefully some people can understand my reasoning here...

thats not how ubc converts letter grades. from my personal experience of applying to ubc, i can tell you that they will convert an A to 85% (not 90% like you mentioned). an A+ will be converted to 90%.

when dealing with ubc, it is always better to have percentages rather than letter grades.

I am guessing there's more than 20 people from oop.

Unfortunately when they post the entering class statistics they don't include whether they are IP or OOP. Here are the stats from last year as per the notes from the UBC pre-dental club:

First Year DMD Class 2008/2009

Applications received – 332

Eligible applications – 282

Accepted applicants – 39

Academic Overall Average – 85% (Some 70’s were also accepted)

DAT Academic Average – 20.9

DAT PAT/carving average – 22.1

This is found in the Pre-dental Student Club's facebook group. Lots of good info from their meeting minutes. I really appreciate them posting it all.

The link to it:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/topic.php?uid=5799807069&topic=5488

jayjay is a current ubc dental student and hes saying its roughly half oop and half ip. thanks.

Unfortunately when they post the entering class statistics they don't include whether they are IP or OOP. Here are the stats from last year as per the notes from the UBC pre-dental club:

First Year DMD Class 2008/2009

Applications received – 332

Eligible applications – 282

Accepted applicants – 39

Academic Overall Average – 85% (Some 70’s were also accepted)

DAT Academic Average – 20.9

DAT PAT/carving average – 22.1

This is found in the Pre-dental Student Club's facebook group. Lots of good info from their meeting minutes. I really appreciate them posting it all.

The link to it:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/topic.php?uid=5799807069&topic=5488

I am not sure if Countach's remarks were targeted at me hahaha!:P Didn't mean to offend you if I did...

Thanks for the link to those minutes! Wow good find.

I also stand corrected in terms of the percentage-grade conversion thing.

So interviews happen pretty early...And acceptance occurs quite early as well!

Yeah so it will all happen a week earlier than last year - I would guess we will hear about interviews on Jan 14th.

Another thing I found different from last year was that while last year the mock PBL session and Open house attendance was not mandatory (ie. didn't effect your evaluation - if I am not mistaken), it seems like it might be this time according to those notes:

Selection Criteria

-120 applicants are invited to the Open House Weekend based on:

1. GPA

2. DAT scores- Academic Average, PAT, Carving section

3. Personal Attributes (Letters of Reference, Letter of Intent, Extracurricular work)

4. The final group of 40 first year students are selected on:

-All of the above factors

-Results of the interview

-Attendance at the Open House

-PBL Session “learning program” (Do a quick research on this subject, and see if this program fits to your learning style)

Hm,, I guess they wanted people to show up for the mock pbl.

There were quite a few who did not attend.

I know I am not expert in PBL, and I know its so far from now, but if anyone have question about this pm me later.

Yeah so it will all happen a week earlier than last year - I would guess we will hear about interviews on Jan 14th.

Another thing I found different from last year was that while last year the mock PBL session and Open house attendance was not mandatory (ie. didn't effect your evaluation - if I am not mistaken), it seems like it might be this time according to those notes:

Selection Criteria

-120 applicants are invited to the Open House Weekend based on:

1. GPA

2. DAT scores- Academic Average, PAT, Carving section

3. Personal Attributes (Letters of Reference, Letter of Intent, Extracurricular work)

4. The final group of 40 first year students are selected on:

-All of the above factors

-Results of the interview

-Attendance at the Open House

-PBL Session “learning program” (Do a quick research on this subject, and see if this program fits to your learning style)

• 3 weeks later...

about 15-20% of my classmates was OOP including myself (excluding international gradutes). The rule was changed due to some unexpected events from the admissions point of view. I believe it does give the IP students a better shot at UBC dent. Yeah, tuition is a killer, it just kept on increasing.

I am wondering the same thing. I think that they would have to just interview no more than 10% of interview pool of OOP. If not then it would lessen the pool of IP who have interviews, meaning less to choose from.

This could go either way if they dont keep the ratio. If you are just on the fence to get an interview then your chances of getting an interview would be the same as previous years, but if you have better stats and get an interview then after the interview your chances of getting in is much better.

Archived