Premed 101 Forums

Summers between med school

Guest Megs

Guest UWOMED2005

After first year I did a 4 week clinical elective in Switzerland, then spent the rest of the summer bumming around Europe (handgliding in the Alps, surfing in Portugal, partying with classmates in Barcelona. . . you know that sort of thing.)

After 2nd year I did an 8 week rural medicine elective, and took 3 weeks off for myself to visit friends across Ontario, Quebec and the East Coast and do some surfing in Nova Scotia. As for the 8 week elective, I chose rural medicine because it offered the best base in a number of different areas: my time was spent 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 in Internal medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Family Medicine. I also got some research out of that and might have a paper to publish.

Personally, I'm all about trying to balance some clinical exposure with some fun time. On the one hand, I almost learned more from my brief summer clinical exposure than I did in all of years 1 and 2. On the other hand, if you don't have at least some fun you'll go nuts. . . or at the least forget how to have fun and risk becoming "Dr. Roboto."

Guest Ian Wong

After first year, I did a French Immersion program through the SLBP in Chicoutimi Quebec. Had a blast! They basically pay for all your food, housing, and tuition. All you need to cover is your airfare, and any extra spending money. As a medical student, you are considered a full-time university student, and are fully-eligible (I actually met two McGill med students while I was there).

After second year, we have a long rural elective (I ultimately ended up spending 6 weeks doing it, and had a fantastic time). I wasn't even in Med 3 yet, and was cutting out skin ca, first assisting all sorts of surgeries, doing IV's all over the place, getting offers to intubate and do spinals (although I deferred on these thinking that perhaps I should have more clinical experience before diving in; I wish I'd taken those opportunities now), and really seeing just how cool being a generalist is when you don't have all sorts of specialty services to compete against.

I also set up a short ENT elective in my hometown with one of the local surgeons, and then spent the rest of the summer relaxing!

Ian

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I worked this past summer after 1st year. Decent job, decent pay, but not very exciting.

This year I am going to fly to Australia, hopefully get a job and a flat and live there for three months. It sounds crazy and ambitious, but in all honesty it is my last summer and I've never been anywhere cool. So that is my plan! :D

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 4 months later...
Guest Ian Wong

Most Canadian clinical electives are unpaid, and you actually may need to pay a small fee to the institution where you're going as an elective application fee. You'll also end up paying for transportation/airfare, housing, and food, as none of these are usually provided for you. As a result, doing multiple electives can get quite costly.

UBC's rural elective after Med 2 does receive a limited amount of funding from UBC and the government, plus whatever your class is able to fundraise (I think it worked out to $1000-$1500 for the 6 weeks I was away, but really don't remember anymore). This money goes towards everything (transportation, housing, food, etc), so it isn't enough to cover all your costs, but every little bit helps.

Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

I was unpaid during my elective in Switzerland.

I got a "free" appartment for the month to offset costs, though.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I got a "free" appartment for the month to offset costs, though.
This sounds like a great deal! :D How did you manage to wangle the flat? Was it in a student residence of some sort? Are these sorts of accommodations regularly available to medical students traveling to complete electives in countries other than Switzerland?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 years later...

Archived