Premed 101 Forums

some questions...

I am considering doing a second degree to apply to dental school because my first degree gpa is poor. The second degree would be in business/commerce and obviously I would also complete science pre-reqs for dental schools.

Because I am trying to save time I am wondering what type of gpa would make me competitive to apply during my 3rd year to schools in Canada and the US at schools that are canadian friendly such as nyu and bu.

Also, dental schools would not see my first degree marks correct?

I am considering doing a second degree to apply to dental school because my first degree gpa is poor. The second degree would be in business/commerce and obviously I would also complete science pre-reqs for dental schools.

Because I am trying to save time I am wondering what type of gpa would make me competitive to apply during my 3rd year to schools in Canada and the US at schools that are canadian friendly such as nyu and bu.

Also, dental schools would not see my first degree marks correct?

a 4.0 would be competitive..

does that make sense?

Dental schools require transcripts from all post secondary education so yes they would see the first degree marks. They would give more weight to the more recent marks since that's more reflective of who you are now as an applicant rather than who you were. There's a few guys in my class who had some rauchy grades and took upgrading and are now doing fine in dental school. It can be done tho it might take a bit longer. I've also seen the same thing done in medical school with people getting into med when they're 30+.

a 4.0 would be competitive..

does that make sense?

wow thanks for that amazing advice I didnt know a perfect gpa would make you competitive for dental school....

My question was to gauge if there was a general consensus as to what gpa a "competitive" 3rd year applicant would have. Of course i'd be shooting for a 4.0 but if i end up with a 3.8 or so then i was wondering if i would still have a shot as a 3rd year applicant.

thanks tho.

Dental schools require transcripts from all post secondary education so yes they would see the first degree marks. They would give more weight to the more recent marks since that's more reflective of who you are now as an applicant rather than who you were. There's a few guys in my class who had some rauchy grades and took upgrading and are now doing fine in dental school. It can be done tho it might take a bit longer. I've also seen the same thing done in medical school with people getting into med when they're 30+.

So if i dont "send" first degree marks they wouldnt see them right? ;)

Does what you were saying apply to all american dental schools also?

Thanks.

So if i dont "send" first degree marks they wouldnt see them right? ;)

Does what you were saying apply to all american dental schools also?

Thanks.

Well, he clearly stated that dental schools require marks from all post-secondary education so you're supposed to send them.

Archived