Premed 101 Forums

Master's Degree?

Hey guys,

How much would having a Master's degree boost your admission chances, especially at UWO, UofT, and the States? I've definitely heard it helps, but don't really know the numbers involved and if it's a significant difference. No matter what, it's the route I'm taking, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

The quantitative number I heard from a friend in UofT Dent is that a master's degree basically boosts your GPA up a letter grade (ex, a B+ to an A-), but I kind of have a hard time believing that. What have you guys heard?

Thanks!! Appreciate the help in advance!

I have heard that a masters really helps at UofT. I have heard that the school will take your average achieved throughout your masters studies. I have never heard anything about being bumped up a letter grade.

At UWO, a masters is worth much less than UofT, you are given "bonus points" when applying with a masters but I still think they are looking at your gpa too.

Not sure what they do in the United States

Hope that helps

I got into UofT a few yrs ago as an OOP with a master's degree. Grades for that entering class were ~3.9/4.0 and a 21 AA 19 PAT mine were ~3.6-3.7 and 21 AA 18 PAT. My interview score was above average but I'm sure the masters degree played a part especially since I got one of the few OOP spots. UofT is the most research orientated of all the Canadian dental schools, but practicing in southern Ontario can be crazy competitive.

Interview prep books are still available: cdainterviewbook@hotmail.com

Hey guys,

How much would having a Master's degree boost your admission chances, especially at UWO, UofT, and the States? I've definitely heard it helps, but don't really know the numbers involved and if it's a significant difference. No matter what, it's the route I'm taking, but I'm just wondering what to expect.

The quantitative number I heard from a friend in UofT Dent is that a master's degree basically boosts your GPA up a letter grade (ex, a B+ to an A-), but I kind of have a hard time believing that. What have you guys heard?

Thanks!! Appreciate the help in advance!

I can't really comment on any more (for many many reasons....and you can interpret this how you feel) than what is to follow:

Having a Masters or PhD is a SIGNIFICANT ADVANTAGE at U of T Dental school.

I'm sure undergrads or current dental students/etc may have something to say. But for those grad students (MSc or PhD) in the application process right now, rest assure that your Grad work will take you FAR in the admission process.

Have a great holiday everyone

This is all I can leave you guys with :)

I can't really comment on any more (for many many reasons....and you can interpret this how you feel) than what is to follow:

Having a Masters or PhD is a SIGNIFICANT ADVANTAGE at U of T Dental school.

I'm sure undergrads or current dental students/etc may have something to say. But for those grad students (MSc or PhD) in the application process right now, rest assure that your Grad work will take you FAR in the admission process.

Have a great holiday everyone

This is all I can leave you guys with :)

I know you said you wouldn't but can you elaborate a little. I noticed most of your posts are in the premed side of things so just wondering how you obtained this information.

Thanks.

I know you said you wouldn't but can you elaborate a little. I noticed most of your posts are in the premed side of things so just wondering how you obtained this information.

Thanks.

sorry ad19,

I wish I can add more to the post but I can't [too many oaths.....]

I saw your posts in the other threads. What I can comment on is your GPA and DAT scores. They seem very promising. You will do well in the initial screen. Try to really prepare for that interview in march. Besides those things, just "try" to relax....again the word is "try"....:D ....Easier said than done, I know!

Good luck

sorry ad19,

I wish I can add more to the post but I can't [too many oaths.....]

I saw your posts in the other threads. What I can comment on is your GPA and DAT scores. They seem very promising. You will do well in the initial screen. Try to really prepare for that interview in march. Besides those things, just "try" to relax....again the word is "try"....:D ....Easier said than done, I know!

Good luck

Endeavor! I remember talking to you on the forums last year, although I'm unclear on the context. Anyway, hope you are doing well.

I am, though, very interested in these oaths you refer to!

To the OP,

Let me tell you once and for all that an advanced degree will help your application at U of T - if it lacks in the GPA department. As in, if you have a lacklustre GPA, the fact that you have a masters/PhD will help you get past that cut off. Now, if you have a lacklustre DAT, I believe that's a different story, although I'm not confident on that. And by "helping", I mean it will take you to the interview stage (I believe that has to be combined with a decent DAT score). If you do badly on the interview, I doubt having a masters can mask that. You can bring up stuff from your masters on your interview, but that's hardly necessary.

To sum up,

For U of T only, if you like research and can commit 2 years, and have a below average GPA but good DAT, do a masters. Rock the interview and you'll get in.

UWO doesn't care, or not enough at least.

I don't know about the States. Didn't apply there.

Endeavor! I remember talking to you on the forums last year, although I'm unclear on the context. Anyway, hope you are doing well.

I am, though, very interested in these oaths you refer to!

To the OP,

Let me tell you once and for all that an advanced degree will help your application at U of T - if it lacks in the GPA department. As in, if you have a lacklustre GPA, the fact that you have a masters/PhD will help you get past that cut off. Now, if you have a lacklustre DAT, I believe that's a different story, although I'm not confident on that. And by "helping", I mean it will take you to the interview stage (I believe that has to be combined with a decent DAT score). If you do badly on the interview, I doubt having a masters can mask that. You can bring up stuff from your masters on your interview, but that's hardly necessary.

To sum up,

For U of T only, if you like research and can commit 2 years, and have a below average GPA but good DAT, do a masters. Rock the interview and you'll get in.

UWO doesn't care, or not enough at least.

I don't know about the States. Didn't apply there.

Hey Daryn...You mentioned that a masters could make up for the low GPA for UofT. I was just curious as to how low a gpa would the masters make up for?

thanks

Archived