Premed 101 Forums

Courses affecting gpa calculation

Hi i am new to this forum,

does anyone know if dalhousie takes in to account only courses related to sciences in the cal of gpa for a year, or if you take a course in for example film would they also count the grade you got for that.

Does anyone know if they straight up look at just the gpa u had for a year, or do they look at the courses you took and assign them a certain value, or not count some courses.

Its winter break so i cant ask admissions, and i need a reply before i pick my next semester courses.

Thanks

Hey there Boats and Hos, welcome to the forum.

Dalhousie's calculation of your GPA will include all courses you've taken, whether it be a course in medicinal chemistry, or a course in underwater basket weaving. This stems from Dal's policy of not requiring a certain degree to be eligible for medicine, and also from their efforts to find candidates who are well rounded. It would be counter-productive to state that well rounded candidates are being sought after, but then only using courses from traditionally science based pre-med disciplines.

This being said (and I'm under the pretense that you're not applying this year), you should be sure to take courses that prepare you for the MCAT. Although Dal doesn't require a traditional pre-med degree, this does not mean that they don't care if you know the science that a typical pre-med should. I am of the understanding that Dal simply doesn't care where you learn this science, and has adopted the philosophy that the MCAT will be used to seperate the sheep from the goats in this regard.

I hope this has answered your question, Boats and Hos, and good luck with the courses you pick next semester.

Thanks w8kg6 that puts me at ease, you are correct i am not applying this year but did not want to overburden myself with difficult courses that i would have thought would impress the selection committee. I will be taking reasonable courses. I have done all the mcat requirements and am taking it in the summer.

Thank again, (basket weaving, lol)

• 4 weeks later...

From what I know, most Canadian med schools DO NOT count your science and non science GPA's separately. Also I don't think they have a way of evaluating the difficult levels of courses either, in other words choose bird courses and get high GPA's is more helpful than choosing hard courses to impress the ADCOM. Hope this helps.

Archived