Premed 101 Forums

applying to US

monkey799

Curious on why fellow Canadians are pursuing the American med school - some of whom are strong applicants too.

Is it that Canadian schools are too tough to get in (and from my reading, US schools are not any easier to get in!)? or Canadian cities just not good enough?

Or you don't like Canadian system and tax and you eventually want to practice medicine in US? even then you can do med school in Canada and residency and/or fellowship in the US to eventually practice there.

If you like research, there are MD-PHD programs in Canada as well - which can be followed by residenc/fellowship in the US.

If you are not going to Harvard, what is it about US schools that make it worth the 250-400k?

The Canadian system is competitive enough that someone with a 3.8 GPA and 33 MCAT may not get an acceptance over here for a variety of reasons. I'd say that the vast majority of the applicants apply to the US because they want to maximize their chances of getting an acceptance somewhere. I don't think that it's easiar to get into the US if you are a Canadian. Many of the people that do obtain US acceptances, also end up with Canadian acceptances. It's about covering all your bases IMO.

Most schools are in fact not that much easier to get into than Canadian schools. Some schools are, others are harder. It depends on where you apply. Regardless, 1 thing is true, the US is, to us, a whole new pool of schools where we can gamble and try our luck. It's not a matter of the schools being easier, but rather having higher chances just by putting our application at as many schools as we can.

Curious on why fellow Canadians are pursuing the American med school - some of whom are strong applicants too.

Is it that Canadian schools are too tough to get in (and from my reading, US schools are not any easier to get in!)? or Canadian cities just not good enough?

Or you don't like Canadian system and tax and you eventually want to practice medicine in US? even then you can do med school in Canada and residency and/or fellowship in the US to eventually practice there.

If you like research, there are MD-PHD programs in Canada as well - which can be followed by residenc/fellowship in the US.

If you are not going to Harvard, what is it about US schools that make it worth the 250-400k?[/QUOTE]

You will soon see that is isn't all rankings and money. I can honestly place a 34th place school over a 20th place school (according to USNews) based on my personal preferences. A lot of us have interests, and I am talking about me, just have interests in medicine that aren't congruent with some med schools here. I felt like my research interests were not at all welcome at Schulich, where they flat out told me they want to train rural doctors (awkard interview moment? you bet!). While at NYU, I felt like I really belonged in a place like that given our mutual interests in translational research. That sense of belonging is a REALLY BIG DEAL. Besides, a lot of the megacities that host the schools we are interviewing at are an awesome place to spend your early 20s, and after all, you only live once. Some of my friends, the best applicants I know of, ended up going stateside. It was all of these factors that made the heavy price tag worth the coin.

I think I'm also one of the few who isn't looking at the US as a back-up anymore. It's just another viable option.

Pretty much every med student from Canada I've met on the interview trail so far was also accepted to Canadian schools but they chose to go stateside. I always try to ask why they made the decision. They usually say that it wasn't US vs. Canada so much as it was Hopkins vs. UofT for example. They didn't have any particular aversion or preference to studying in either country, it was just that they happened to prefer a certain American school over a Canadian one. This is considering everything, tuition, location, research opportunity, curriculum etc. And since quite a few of the "Harvards" offer need-based aid to Canadians, the costs can actually end up being comparable out-of-pocket.

Yeah, I'm primarily comparing schools as well.

I'd prefer Vandy, Duke, Dartmouth, Northwestern, NYU, and Georgetown to just about any school in Ontario except perhaps Queen's for the latter three. I just got a better feel out of all of those than I did last year interviewing here.

Oh wait wait sorry, I didn't word my post correctly. I understood from your post that you would put Queen's OVER the latter 3 that you list, but I would assume that at least NYU and Northwestern would be >> Queen's.

Its a fortunate thing we aren't visited by Queen's meds students on this side of the p101 forums or we would be mistaken for bashing their school.

It's just annoying that NYU doesn't have a second look. I imagine that's why they have to accept so many people to fill the class. It was my top choice, by far, before I started interviewing because of the options for clinical training. I did love Bellevue, Tisch etc. but was less impressed with the school. Right now I couldn't rank it above the other NYC schools, or even Vandy, but maybe a revisit might change that.

You will soon see that is isn't all rankings and money. I can honestly place a 34th place school over a 20th place school (according to USNews) based on my personal preferences. A lot of us have interests, and I am talking about me, just have interests in medicine that aren't congruent with some med schools here. I felt like my research interests were not at all welcome at Schulich, where they flat out told me they want to train rural doctors (awkard interview moment? you bet!). While at NYU, I felt like I really belonged in a place like that given our mutual interests in translational research. That sense of belonging is a REALLY BIG DEAL. Besides, a lot of the megacities that host the schools we are interviewing at are an awesome place to spend your early 20s, and after all, you only live once. Some of my friends, the best applicants I know of, ended up going stateside. It was all of these factors that made the heavy price tag worth the coin.

Then I'm glad I didn't have the 3.7 to apply to Western!

the actual facilities for lectures and such sucked. The dorms make vic hall at queen's look like the hilton suites haha. One of the rooms we saw had a bunk bed that set a record for height in my books.

hah I had my interview the day after Cornell so everything seemed that much more iffy by comparison (though the dorms were slightly nicer at NYU).

I think they do a bad job of selling themselves...my tour guides for one were completely unenthusiastic. I don't expect all students to be rah-rah about their school especially during exams, but you'd think people would only volunteer to show off their school if they liked it.....right? Plus there were a lot of things we didn't get to see...the library, anatomy lab, lecture halls. Our tour was mostly walking through depressing basement hallways waiting for lunch.

I feel like you go to NYU for the amazing things you'll get to see 3rd and 4th year all over Langone, not the first two. They should show off the hospitals more.

Yeah Olin was pretty depressing. You only have to share your bathroom with one other person, but the rooms are tiny. But for all of these NYC schools you have to accept that you're getting a lot of square footage for the money, so I don't hold the dorms against them. :P

Then I'm glad I didn't have the 3.7 to apply to Western!

well I'm pretty sure he had it wrong, UWO is a research intensive school that has a commitment to the swomen region. They did not start up nor solely exist to train rural physicians in the same respect as NOSM. But whether his ideas are congruent with the school's mission and personality is indifferent since all that matters for me to get the short end of the stick is for him to disagree with me. Welcome to panel interview.

I might be wrong about this, but it seems as though most NYU students only live in Rubin for the first two years and then a decent percentage get studios in Skirball. There's a decently informative website (you can find the link in one of the NYU threads on SDN) that's put out by the NYU SOM student coucil. It has a lot of information about housing and everything else.

well I'm pretty sure he had it wrong, UWO is a research intensive school that has a commitment to the swomen region. They did not start up nor solely exist to train rural physicians in the same respect as NOSM. But whether his ideas are congruent with the school's mission and personality is indifferent since all that matters for me to get the short end of the stick is for him to disagree with me. Welcome to panel interview.

UWO has panel interviews? What's the format like?

Archived