Premed 101 Forums

who should i approach for clinical volunteering

svp2k5

I would suggest volunteering outside of the hospital setting. Health Units, Addiction centres, Community Health Agencies, etc. are probably a better choice.

From what I have seen, Hospital Volunteering really doesn't give you any exposure to much of what physicians, residents, and medical students do. I think that Volunteering in a more community setting with more direct contact with those you help would be a better experience and more impressive than at the hospital.

• 7 years later...

guys ,

i am a noob in the whole med school process .:D . so don't laugh at the stupidity of the question.

i wanted to know who should i approach for my clinical volunteering i.e my family doctor who can maybe refer me to a nearby hospital or go talk to the nearby hospital staff / supervisor and ask for volunteering opportunities.Also , by the way working in a physicians clinic is also good enough right ??

thanks

this sight is awesommmmmee

Depends on which hospital you want to volunteer for.

Most childrens hospital require alot of process before you can volunteer, such as police checks, making sure you have had certain vacinations + interview.

Then again the process might be similar for other hospitals as well.

You can find info regarding how to volunteer on most hospital sites, some of them dont have them and you may need to go through human ressources to get the necessary documents as I did. Also you can call the hospital and request to speak witht he volunteering departement.

Here is an example of what you have to do in order to volunteer just to give you a ballpark idea.

http://www.thechildren.com/en/about/volunteer.aspx

Hope this info helped, I do not know everything about volunteering but what i said there is stuff that learned from my personal experience that i thought would help you out :D.

p.s sorry for any grammar mistakes.

why not look at other sites besides hospitals? emergency shelters and senior's nursing homes are good places to learn about persons with chronic diseases while offering hands on service. to prep for any kind of work with the public, get your vaccinations, CPR/First Aid and a records check now.

• 2 weeks later...

All the replies are right. To a degree, the answers reflect acquired common sense. You are fully capable of thinking it out and coming to the conclusion yourself, although this is one terrific short-cut. Like in medicine, we will all be faced with new challenging issues facing us, and our first and best resource must be ourselves; only then, we look to others, which is also part of the process. Good luck.

Archived