Premed 101 Forums

Anatomy classes

Hey there,

It is not uncommon for one or more people to pass out during the first anatomy session in medical/dental school. Some say it is the smell of the anatomy lab (formalin can be quite pungent, however, I believe that is no longer used at UBC), some say it is the thought of the dead bodies, and some say it is when they see the bodies and realize it is a real person who is now dead.

Cadavers are real humans who have given consent for their bodies to be used by our medical school as part of the anatomy program.

In my year, no one passed out that I am aware of. I know some people felt a little queezy though.

Yes, people have fainted. It happens, but it's not common. A couple people did in my class. I think everyone gets a little uneasy as they head into their first session, but the feeling wears off very quickly. I have never heard of anyone who has decided to drop out because they can't handle working with cadavers, so although lots of people feel uncomfortable at first, things become routine after a while.

Remember: it's a step in the training process to become used to these sorts of things. Touching a cadaver is no big deal compared to DREs, pelvic exams, pus-squirting abscesses, road nearly-kill, and amputated limbs.

Yes, people have fainted. It happens, but it's not common. A couple people did in my class. I think everyone gets a little uneasy as they head into their first session, but the feeling wears off very quickly. I have never heard of anyone who has decided to drop out because they can't handle working with cadavers, so although lots of people feel uncomfortable at first, things become routine after a while.

Remember: it's a step in the training process to become used to these sorts of things. Touching a cadaver is no big deal compared to DREs, pelvic exams, pus-squirting abscesses, road nearly-kill, and amputated limbs.

Do males do pelvic exams or is it done only by a females? I can imagine guys in first med year getting a boner.

I don't think anyone passed out in my class, though I know a number of people who strenuously avoided the lab as much as possible and, when there, avoided touching anything.

It was certainly a bit weird at first, but I made myself dissect out the left lung in one of the first sessions, which was pretty cool. By the time you're poking at layers of cranial dura or rummaging through buckets of pharnyxes, the squicky factor is pretty diminished. I don't think anyone lost sight of what we were actually doing though (I sure didn't!).

Hahaha wow, I am speechless at some of the comments on here.

In my whole class of 224 people I don't think anyone passed out during any dissection. Correct me if I am wrong. Although, some of us were pretty tired during some of the dissections and probably felt like taking a nap... Especially by October and especially on Fridays when we had just spent a full morning at the hospital and had to dissect all afternoon... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived