Premed 101 Forums

UBC interview invitation

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got my rejection today.

GPA = 81%

DAT AA = 20, Perceptual = 15, Carving = 19, RC = 22

That got me a ranking of 13 :eek: . I'm kind of mystified I was that low. I'm OOP.

Do you mind me asking what your GPA out of 4 is? Also, was the ranking in your e-mail or did you call and ask? I wonder if we can somehow find out our ranking going in.

Anyhow, good luck with your other applications. It's really competitive at all schools as an OOP applicant. Best bet is your in-province school.

I just got home today and was suprized to see my invitation to an interview as I thought it would come next week - but it is nice to not be waiting for it. I am interviewing on the 31st as well @ 10am, PBL in the afternoon.

From my experience you dont find out where you stand until you dont get in, such as not getting an interview or not getting offered a position.

This PBL thing is getting me worried. I got the standard interview under control, but I have no idea what the PBL will be like.

Does anyone have an idea what it will be like?

Hey Herragge,

What were your stats like? I ask because in a post you mentioned you were well above average on the DAT and your school marks were close to 80. I'm in the same boat. What does your percentage convert over to on the GPA scale?

This PBL thing is getting me worried. I got the standard interview under control, but I have no idea what the PBL will be like.

Does anyone have an idea what it will be like?

From my last year's experience, I guess this is what will happen:

- Your PBL group will consist of roughly 10 students (cadidates).

- In the PBL session, your group will be given a case study, which likely to be a clinical one. (at least mine was)

- Throughout discussion, your group have to evaluate the case, and present possible causes and solutions to the case. The PBL tutor is there to guide your discussion to the right direction.

- I guess we will be marked for our performance, leadership, communication skills, teamwork... etc.. within the group, and evaluated for how suitable we are for the PBL thingy.

So, to me, the PBL session feels like a group interview, and I really hate that UBC brought it up.:mad:

crap!!! I hope I am not pooled in the OOP category!!!!!

Maybe they interview students who are coming from out of province the second weekend (even if technically they still qualify for in-province spots at the school)? You could always give them a call to check - it's definitely a huge advantage now to be an IP student for UBC

Maybe they interview students who are coming from out of province the second weekend (even if technically they still qualify for in-province spots at the school)? You could always give them a call to check - it's definitely a huge advantage now to be an IP student for UBC

Yeah. I'm going to call them on Monday since I couldn't get a hold of them today...

Did anyone else get an interview at UBC? and are you OOP or IP?

Yeah. I'm going to call them on Monday since I couldn't get a hold of them today...

Did anyone else get an interview at UBC? and are you OOP or IP?

well, it says on their website that you're ip if you've attended all 4 years at highschool,,,

or at least 3 years if you have home in bc?

Were you in bc from grade 8-12?

Do you mind me asking what your GPA out of 4 is? Also, was the ranking in your e-mail or did you call and ask? I wonder if we can somehow find out our ranking going in.

Anyhow, good luck with your other applications. It's really competitive at all schools as an OOP applicant. Best bet is your in-province school.

Well my situation is a bit complicated in that I will have two degrees completed by the end of the current school year. Unfortunately, UBC looks at your percent grades from all years and will delete your lowest year if you have four or more completed. So when that's taken into account, I have 5 years of marks worth a total of 81.6%.

My first degree cGPA was from a while back and pretty dismal (~3.0 OMSAS) but the second degree is about 3.96 so far. I'm in good shape for schools that only consider my second degree or best two years.

The ranking came in the rejection email and isn't necessarily precise but is supposed to give you an indication of your standing for future applications. It's a normalized distribution that should tell you your standing against the applicant pool. To get an interview, you needed to be ranked in the 50th percentile or above. A score of 50 means 50% of the applicants were ranked better and 50% lower. Apparently the ranking includes a sum of all the factors (grades, DAT, references, and essays). Considering all of the life experience I've had, and my solid referees, I would have thought that I would have done a lot better than I did. I might call and see if they can give me any insight into where I went wrong.

Good luck to those who are going to interview.

Hey Herragge,

What were your stats like? I ask because in a post you mentioned you were well above average on the DAT and your school marks were close to 80. I'm in the same boat. What does your percentage convert over to on the GPA scale?

I don't know what my percentage is exactly converted to...but it should be around 81-83%. My DAT scores are AA: 20, RC: 19, PAT: 20, MD: 29. I had very good references; one of them was from an alumni who donated money to the new dental facility there. I am actually also a third year applicant so I got a lot going against me with being OOP as well.

Good luck and I hope to put some faces to some of the names here! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

It's a normalized distribution that should tell you your standing against the applicant pool. To get an interview, you needed to be ranked in the 50th percentile or above. A score of 50 means 50% of the applicants were ranked better and 50% lower. Apparently the ranking includes a sum of all the factors (grades, DAT, references, and essays).

I find it hard to believe that only 240 people applied.

Wein -

I have asked about my application when rejected and the people at the UBC DMD admissions have been very nice to meet with me in person and go over my file. In these meetings they were able to give me my individual percentile rankings for every area of my application so that I can see how to improve for the next year. Applicats get these same rankings after interviewing and getting waitlisted but the year before when I did not get an interview and only got a general interview, I could get the individual rankings which helped me see how i was compared to the larger pool of people trying to get an interview.

240 sounds about right, I think it is usually somewhere around 50-55%. So it would also be a bit more once you include the applications that are not completed correctly or missing documents then it would be around there I guess.

As I expected, no interview

my stat is

80% GPA

19 RC, 18 BioL, 18 Chem, 20 PAT, 23 Carving

personal attributes= probably quite high (I did some third world country volunteering)

I was short 2% from getting an interview...

oh God...

well, now i am cramming first year chem/biol text book

wish me luck next year :/

As I expected, no interview

my stat is

80% GPA

19 RC, 18 BioL, 18 Chem, 20 PAT, 23 Carving

personal attributes= probably quite high (I did some third world country volunteering)

I was short 2% from getting an interview...

oh God...

well, now i am cramming first year chem/biol text book

wish me luck next year :/

Wow, I guess ubc really weighs GPA heavily...

I also got the UBC interview invitation just now....

chiral: You are an IP student, and you are interviewing on January 31st?

I am an IP student, attending University out of province,and my interview is on February 7. Atleast... I hope they are considering me an In Province Student because I lived in Vancouver from birth through age 17....

Anyone else IP and interviewing on Feb. 7? Just to get an idea because it seems like all OOP are interviewing on this day. Although it makes sense that UBC will be interviewing more IP students because of the IP acceptance preference this year, so they cannot interview all IP students on Jan. 31st.

boom! 2nd year applicant, IP, i'm interviewing Jan 31. Nice to see I got some love from them this year after missing the cutoff by 2% last year.

FYI, Connie from admissions came in to our predental club meetings last term and said that most of the students that are located outside the lower mainland get given the later date in order to leave some more time for them to make travel arrangements.

Anyone else IP and interviewing on Feb. 7? Just to get an idea because it seems like all OOP are interviewing on this day. Although it makes sense that UBC will be interviewing more IP students because of the IP acceptance preference this year, so they cannot interview all IP students on Jan. 31st.

Hey deja vu,

I'm IP and interviewing on Feb 7th...I got a little concerned when all these OOP people are interviewing on that day...thought maybe that I screwed up my application for a bit! When's your interview time?

Archived