Premed 101 Forums

How competitive are McGill MSc programs?

Not very competitive. You don't need to write the GRE if you're an IP applicant. In fact, I don't think you need to write if you did your undergrad in Canada or the US. GPA cutoffs are relatively low (>3.0, I think). If your GPA is on the lower side (say, less than 3.5) strong reference letters will greatly help your application. Unlike med school, they'll basically let anyone in if the ad com thinks the applicant can handle grad school.

Really that is surprising that you say McGill grad school has lower standards, never would have thought that.

Lower standards than med school? Absolutely. Lower standards than other Canadian chem or bio graduate programs? I don't think so. In general, grad programs are much less competitive than med. It's just a function of the number of applicants and spaces.

Is there any info posted anywhere?

I don't know if stats are available. I'd suggest contacting the graduate studies coordinator for the program you're interested in, providing your stats, and asking how competitive you are. They'd know best.

Lower standards than med school? Absolutely. Lower standards than other Canadian chem or bio graduate programs? I don't think so. In general, grad programs are much less competitive than med. It's just a function of the number of applicants and spaces.

I don't know if stats are available. I'd suggest contacting the graduate studies coordinator for the program you're interested in, providing your stats, and asking how competitive you are. They'd know best.

Okay that makes sense I thought you meant lower standards in comparison to other graduate programs not in comparison to medical school. That makes a lot more sense.

Archived