Premed 101 Forums

AQ differences between cycles

• 8 years later...

I applied to UBC last cycle as well as this cycle, and was rejected pre-interview both times. I was comparing my AFES reports and noticed that my AQ dropped a point. However, I have not taken any courses since my last application, and both reports show the same averages. So either this is a mistake, or they've changed the formula they use for calculating AQ.

Has anyone else had this happen, a change in AQ without taking any new courses? If that one point drop is a mistake, then I should have received an interview this year, so I am obviously pretty curious. I did email them but am not expecting an answer for a few days. In the meantime, hearing that other peoples' AQ have changed would really help rid me of my last lingering bit of hope here, haha.

Guest soaring_eagle

I think this year this also used the pre-req average in their calculations. Quite the change; I guess good for some, bad for others.

I think this year this also used the pre-req average in their calculations. Quite the change; I guess good for some, bad for others.

Hrm, maybe... though both the website and the email just say it was based on "overall grade point average and the average of your last 60 credits."

I think the scoring each year might change slightly depending on the applicant pool. I think they try to keep the cutoffs roughly consistent over the years, so what might score a 20 one year, might score slightly different the next.

Of course, this is just a guess. But uBC is pretty intentional about not giving away how they calculate the scores, probably leaving come room to change it as they see fit (weighing the overall and last 60 credits average differently, say).

I think the scoring each year might change slightly depending on the applicant pool. I think they try to keep the cutoffs roughly consistent over the years, so what might score a 20 one year, might score slightly different the next.

Of course, this is just a guess. But uBC is pretty intentional about not giving away how they calculate the scores, probably leaving come room to change it as they see fit (weighing the overall and last 60 credits average differently, say).

That's what I'm assuming, but I'm just looking for some kind of evidence that that's indeed the case. Especially since my AQ dropped by exactly one point, haha. Seems kinda weird.

Archived