Premed 101 Forums

2nd bac needs to be complete?

thanks maggoz, i also found this on the McGill FAQ page for atypical applications:

If the basis of admission is on the academic performance of the second degree, it is understood that the applicant will have that degree completed before the onset of medical studies.

• 8 years later...

i am doing a 2nd bachelors and still need a year to complete it, however, i have applied for next year: can i still be considered even if i am not done my 2nd degree?

I have been on many med school sites but the info is confusing

can anyone help clarify? i did all my applications without knowledge of this policy:(

thanks

I found the schools had different policies wrt second degrees. Here's my quick summary.

Schools with the most recent two years rule (Dal and Queen's) will count your latest two years, whether your second degree is completed or not. But I'm not sure how it works if you are less than two years into your second degree.

Other schools, like Ottawa and NOSM, will use your second degree to calculate your GPA only if it is completed.

And finally, some schools (Mac) consider all the courses you've ever done to see if you meet the cutoffs. (Technically, I would have to do two more degrees with a 4.0 GPA to be competitive...)

I don't think it matters if you finish your second degree as you have already completed your first one. The only exception I can think of is if your applying to schools that have pre-reqs and you need to complete the pre-reqs with your second degree. Other than that I don't see why it would be a problem, and as a person doing a second degree I don't think it is a problem.

thanks for the info! (geez, McMaster is brutal for counting my no-so-good-years!)

I am 3 years into a 4-year degree (my 2nd), just to be on the safe side, i will see if i can speed this up.. i just might graduate with some special last-minute requests

paramedtech, are you applying for next semester? will you have completed your 2nd degree?

thanks for the info! (geez, McMaster is brutal for counting my no-so-good-years!)

I am 3 years into a 4-year degree (my 2nd), just to be on the safe side, i will see if i can speed this up.. i just might graduate with some special last-minute requests

paramedtech, are you applying for next semester? will you have completed your 2nd degree?

Hey I am not planning on applying for a few years as I have been working, and taking courses through distance education to complete my second degree so I am still a few years away from applying. Good luck with your upcoming application.

Hey Maple,

In UWO's manual, the requirement is that you will be finished with your 2nd undergrad degree. So you can apply only in your final year of study.

What I'm not sure about, and please don't quote me on this... is that this is the only school where this rule applies.

Archived