Premed 101 Forums

What Undergraduates Are 2 Year Programs?

MCFMP

• 8 years later...

Okay so.

I am going into my fourth and last semester and my CRC is unfortunately not high enough for Med-P due to the fact that I only KNEW about Med-P during the 3rd semester, *sigh..*

I have about a 31.500 and well, I am stuck, so I am here for advice.

I am very strong in Chemistry and I completely love organic chemistry (got a 97 in Organic I). So I plan on doing my Undergraduate in Biochemistry and then applying to Med-P.

However, even though I'd be doing Biochemistry, I do feel that it is a little long. Spending 3 years and then (assuming I get in) another 4 years in Medicine. That's seven years total...I'd be 26 years old, too old to enjoy life anymore...(that's how I feel at least).

For an undergraduate course, it says it it could range from 1-4 years.

I only know undergraduates that are either 3 or 4 years.

I already have all my prereqs from Cegep (for Med-P).

But I wanted to know if there were any Undergraduate Programs that are only 1 or 2 years?

This would motivate me more to get into Med.

Thanks everyone! :)

Okay so.

I am going into my fourth and last semester and my CRC is unfortunately not high enough for Med-P due to the fact that I only KNEW about Med-P during the 3rd semester, *sigh..*

I am very strong in Chemistry and I completely love organic chemistry (got a 97 in Organic I). So I plan on doing my Undergraduate in Biochemistry and then applying to Med-P.

However, even though I'd be doing Biochemistry, I do feel that it is a little long. Spending 3 years and then (assuming I get in) another 4 years in Medicine. That's seven years total...I'd be 26 years old, too old to enjoy life anymore...(that's how I feel at least).

But I wanted to know if there were any Undergraduate Programs that are only 1 or 2 years?

Wow... WTF?

Okay so.

Here is your option, amongst others. Proceed to university. Look at the B. Sc. in Exercise Science (kinesiology). This degree has various options that include clinical route, Honours and research. It is fun and you will do well!

Assuming you do well, you can and should apply to McMaster med school by September, when starting your 2nd year of university, and you can apply to U of M, etc. for "early acceptance" as well - which do not require MCAT.

You had better start creating your "history" with servicing the community while testing your aptitude for medicine.

There arer many worthy volunteering avenues that give you leadership, show your empathy and compassion and test your interest, aptitude and ability. These include Montreal Association for the Bilind and its sister organization, Mini-Meds Program at Mtl Childrens Hospital, STEP at the Royal Vic, Shriner's Hospital and most importantly, sign up to join EMS at Cote St. Luc that has a gruelling 130 hour course at beginning of summer and a training program leading to being a medic in charge. Do as many hours as you can and devote the entire summer to good deeds.

B e exrtremely focused in your studies and do well, which is the beginning and not enough. Read the papers and keep current on public health issues. These days, if you get to the interview stage for med school, it is likely you will have a MMI, where you go to different rooms, meet different interviewers and need to deal with factual scenarios that have nothing to do with either academics or medicine. You are judged on your social skills, personality, ability to communicate, problem and critical thinking skills, ability to see the big picture, to summarize it, show that you understand both sides of the issue, take a position and defend it - all in about 8 minutes.

Best of luck, which, believe it or not, is the most important part of getting into med school. The excellent candidates with top marks, leadership qualities, evidence of compassion, ability to withstand the rigours of med school, good volunteering, etc. vastly out number the seats available.

at Concordia University

kinesiology

Okay so.

Here is your option, amongst others. Proceed to university. Look at the B. Sc. in Exercise Science (kinesiology). This degree has various options that include clinical route, Honours and research. It is fun and you will do well!

Assuming you do well, you can and should apply to McMaster med school by September, when starting your 2nd year of university, and you can apply to U of M, etc. for "early acceptance" as well - which do not require MCAT.

You had better start creating your "history" with servicing the community while testing your aptitude for medicine.

There arer many worthy volunteering avenues that give you leadership, show your empathy and compassion and test your interest, aptitude and ability. These include Montreal Association for the Bilind and its sister organization, Mini-Meds Program at Mtl Childrens Hospital, STEP at the Royal Vic, Shriner's Hospital and most importantly, sign up to join EMS at Cote St. Luc that has a gruelling 130 hour course at beginning of summer and a training program leading to being a medic in charge. Do as many hours as you can and devote the entire summer to good deeds.

B e exrtremely focused in your studies and do well, which is the beginning and not enough. Read the papers and keep current on public health issues. These days, if you get to the interview stage for med school, it is likely you will have a MMI, where you go to different rooms, meet different interviewers and need to deal with factual scenarios that have nothing to do with either academics or medicine. You are judged on your social skills, personality, ability to communicate, problem and critical thinking skills, ability to see the big picture, to summarize it, show that you understand both sides of the issue, take a position and defend it - all in about 8 minutes.

Best of luck, which, believe it or not, is the most important part of getting into med school. The excellent candidates with top marks, leadership qualities, evidence of compassion, ability to withstand the rigours of med school, good volunteering, etc. vastly out number the seats available.

at Concordia University

kinesiology

Ok... well as far as I know, there are no 2 year undergrad programs. And future_doc pretty much summarized what you need to do to get into med. Lastly, you won't be able to apply for Med-P, as it is a program solely for cegep students who completed their science program in 2 years. You're gonna need to do the MCAT. And with a 31.5 CRC, you can try to apply for Med-P right now... it's definitely a super long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Archived