Premed 101 Forums

Marriage and kids while being a doctor

truffle

I can see how it could seem that way, but it has nothing to do with being impressed. Hopefully we are all trying to be doctors because we, as a fundemental aspect of who we are, want to help people and make a difference in the world. I like to think that is true of myself or I wouldn't be trying to become one. It is natural to want your partner to share your most important beliefs. Someone who choses in most cases to work at a factory, or fast food resturant etc as their life long career is very likely not to share that belief. There are exceptions of course, but we are talking in generalities here.

My wife does not care what I do. Sure, she thinks it is great that I want to challenge myself. She just wants me to be happy and to take care of the family financially. She needs to know that I am working hard. She would love me the same if I was a garbageman as long as I enjoyed it and was working to be the best darn garbageman out there.

This is the best form of support there is. I know my motivation must be from within me since there is no pressure from my spouse. She is on my side whatever I choose.

The post you were quoting was directed at Jochi. I thought Jochi's post about working 'the Sears jewelry counter" was a bit ignorant.

My wife is a hairdresser. She has a trade under her belt that she is fantastic at. She did not do well in high school. She would not describe herself as "booksmart." She does not understand the scientific subject matter that I learn in my classes or my research. She does not have the most elaborate vocabulary. She is, however, extremely talented with creative arts, running a home, teaching and caring for my son, and seeing through people's bull.

I am so glad that I did not choose to marry someone who was into what I am into. She balances me.

I took some offense to Jochi's comment but I probably shouldn't have. I assumed that if Jochi met my wife he/she might think that I "married down" because she just wants to be a great mom and couldn't care less about how many degrees someone has. There was also an insinuation that people marry those of "lower intellect" to stroke their own ego. As if someone who is content working at Sears is somehow less of a person.

Jochi, I have to assume that you were just describing what you are looking for in a partner. I respect that. But I am telling you, don't overlook people as potential partners because of the job or education they have. Sometimes a person with common sense is what you need.

I married up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
me take on this... it all comes down to the bed, and how good they are in the bedroom ;)

you dont want to come home and be "stimulated intellectually", but.... you get my point

If that's what matters most to you than your'e in for a lot of disappointment and loneliness my friend.

i don't care about the education level of the people i'm interested in. and we could have totally different interests. my close friends are mostly in humanities. they'd talk to me about for example medieval lit and i'd find the conversation totally interesting, though i don't understand all of it and don't care to remember most of it afterwards. i enjoy the distraction away from med school application, GPA, MCAT, interviews, etc. but if i meet someone in health care fields, i won't automatically reject them because of their career choice.

i guess i have these few criteria:

- taller than me, or if not, must be secure about not being taller

- must have clearly visible arm and leg hair

- must know how to cook, clean, etc., or is willing to learn, or is already able to afford to pay for these services (they don't need to be an expert chef/house keeper)

- must be relatively healthy physically and mentally. if they die early i'll be lonely.

i think it'd be cool to have at least one kid of my own one day. if i'm too old, i do not think i will risk having a kid with trisomy or some other kind of condition. i'll adopt.

Truffle you are hilarious...visible arm and leg hair?

it's all because of something that happened in elementary school. it involved a freakishly unhairy boy saying to me "eww you have more arm hair than me", and later the boy getting beat up, by me.

actually that was my boy cousin.

yeah it's a turn-off for me.

it's all because of something that happened in elementary school. it involved a freakishly unhairy boy saying to me "eww you have more arm hair than me", and later the boy getting beat up, by me.

actually that was my boy cousin.

yeah it's a turn-off for me.

hahahahaha niceee

so what are you doing this weekend? ;) hehehe

damn. chest hair? I'm out. but everything else I had (assuming you girls aren't taller than 6ft). oh well.

lol

the other day i saw a girl who was at least 6'5" (without heels). i always wonder if such people sleep on regular beds. it must be awfully uncomfortable to have to dangle your feet off the bed, or curl up the whole night.

and such people, especially if they are also more on the hefty side, probably don't fit into regular hospital gowns. one time i saw this big guy bring his own night robe for his hospital visit, but what about emergency visits...

A boy told me I was ugly. Later that boy got punched in the face. By me. HA. His nose bled a lot and he told the teacher he got it slammed in the bathroom door. GOT PUNCHED BY A SKINNY GIRL YOU WUSSY.

i once told a girl she had small boobs... its funny how suddenly you lose your "privileges".

that's so weird..i had a feeling u were around 5'2''...

u don't have any chest hair? cuz then maybe u could get extensions?

i think dan might be asian

now jochi should ask what do his pubes look like, are they curly or straight lol hahahaha ahhh ok im off to bed

that's so weird..i had a feeling u were around 5'2''...

u don't have any chest hair? cuz then maybe u could get extensions?

5'2"? thanks for that. 6 feet, 160 pounds.

i think dan might be asian

now jochi should ask what do his pubes look like, are they curly or straight lol hahahaha ahhh ok im off to bed

afraid not. exception to the usual premed crowd.

drapes.png

Next time, replace "small" with "nice"... it will work better.

that goes on a similar line to if you are ever asked "do my hips look fat?", don't say "no, they look like child rearing hips".... turns out that also just means fat.

you guys are so sweet. I think I'm going to move to the student doctor forum and start fresh....

Ignore them.

I'm on the thin side and I'm perfectly happy about it. People have asked me if I have a thyroid problem or some other disease, but they are just jealous because they are battling imminent thunder thighs or beer guts, or they wish they could eat as much as I do and stay thin. lol

oh and apparently Megan Fox thinks she looks like a tranny. I'd hate to be dabbed a sex symbol and forever scrutinized, but without a normal level of self-esteem.

-------

Oh and about small boobs, you guys can comment on how Cameron Diaz is 34B and flipping hot. Or Gwyneth Paltrow, or Angie Harmon (former Bond girl), or a number of other people.

Here's a video of Megan Fox telling a reporter at the Golden Globes that she's a tranny: http://www.newnownext.com/2009/01/megan-fox-im-a-tranny-and-i-want-salma-hayeks-boobs-1.html

This is what she said: “I am pretty sure I am a doppelgänger for Alan Alda. I’m a tranny. I’m a man. I’m so painfully insecure. I’m on the verge of vomiting now. I am so horrified that I am here, and embarrassed.”

Megan added: “I love Salma Hayek’s look. She looks beautiful and I really want her boobs. I really, really do.”

So sad for being the "sexiest woman alive". I hope she was just joking, but what a poor example for young girls. ughhh

Archived