Premed 101 Forums

soap carving questions

Hello.

I am writing the DAT on Feb and I need some help on soap carving. I am having lots of troubles on 45 deg angles with a "square box" in the middle (IQ publ. calls it fluted square end). Any suggestions on how to carve this kind of figure? Do you make 4 fluted ends on each side of the square first then make the soap into a cone shape? or vise versa?

Also when marking your soap, ist it ok if you make tiny grooves on the soap to make the markings a little bit more visible?

Thank you in advance!

i dunno exactly what you're talking about, as I dont' have the IQ carving book (i browsed through it in the bookstore and thought it was garbage). If you like, i have a guide made by an amateur which tells you how to do the 4 ends quickly and accurately. just post back or gimme a PM and i'll link you.

PS. anyone else think IQ Publications is garbage? I have their Survey of Natural Sci books, and found a TON OF ERRORS, especially in the Chemistry section!! I even asked a prof to confirm that it was incorrect, and they said so too.

iamgosu : I will attach a drawing of the figure that I was having troubles with and hopefully this will make a bit more sense. Also, I would really appreciate it if you can send me the carving guide you were talking about, as I honestly did not find the IQ carving guide too helpful (scored 13 on carving last time:( ).

Thanks a bunch!

post-2150-140744793862_thumb.jpg

as for the fluted square ends, i'm not exactly a pro, but the first thing i do is mark out the general outline for the square.

then, i measure to where the flute ends.

finally, start shaving off the fluted sides by holding your blade in a similar way to what's depicted in the guide. (make sure your blade tip goes a bit over the boundary line, it'll make the whole process much more smoothed out and even).

i generally shave off a bit of each side, while constantly checking that everything is relatively even. make sure you don't grip too hard or else the soap will chip too :(

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the carving guide. :)

I am still having trouble with the fluted square end.:( I tried carving as you said and I ended up with a shape that wasn't quite right (there was extra soap between adjacent flutes. did that make sense?). Can anyone please teach me how to carve a fluted square end? I will attach a better figure.

Thanks.

post-2150-140744793884_thumb.jpg

I think the best way to do the square is to:

1) Determine the dimensions of the square by measuring 8mm from the mid-line ridge (perpendicularly), ensuring it is a right angle. Then connect the ends of the crossed marks, being around 12mm long...check to make sure each side is 12mm

2) Mark how far the flute goes to with the marker/blade

3) Start taking off, little by little, the soap from either end to form the flutes, leaving around 1mm from the lines that you have made. Alternate the sides that are being worked on so that you cave the same amount from each side (solving the problem with having uneven amount of soap left).

4) Make final adjustments..it's important to leave the 1mm so that you don't over carve!

Hope this helps.

Archived