Premed 101 Forums

What does Mac actually look for?

Does anyone know what is takes to get an interview at McMaster... It almost seems random!

I think the answer is simple - they score your GPA & ABS by their formula, you are ranked and they know how many interviews they are doing. That's it. A great GPA guarantees nothing. They look at your ECs, LOR, etc. afterwards only.

lmao at the feminist jab, lol

hehe.. had to. I just had a debate with feminist the other day about the male hegemony. Mainly how the design of sky scrapers, the original Apollo rocket ships, as well as the new'ish space shuttles are phallic images intended to oppress women. To her, physics was a secondary concern with the engineers. Their primairy concern was that they had to project their massive manhood onto the world.

Somewhere in the argument ploughs came up, and how they are also phallic images that 'penetrate mother earth' and are therefore opressive instruments for women.

heh.. seriously, how much time do you need to spend in a day to think up these theories? I'm guessing 23hrs. Hardcore feminists must not get much sleep =P

Just remember JohnDakota that what Mac is looking for is primarily females if stats are any indication. So put away your plough and come dressed in a skirt to optimize your chances hehe

man.. I'm already training the 'tuck back.' Don't worry, I'm embracing whatever inner woman I have for Mac =P

Truthfully I'm hoping for uOttawa, or U of T, but I'll take any school. In the end and MD is an MD.

what is a tuck back?

seriously?

I'm not going to explain that.. heh.. not only was it a joke.. but its' fairly obvious if a guy (who is well endowed, if that makes it easier) is trying to appear female.

If that doesn't clear things up, think of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and what the Ray Finkle character had to do to appear as the female police officer.

seriously?

I'm not going to explain that.. heh.. not only was it a joke.. but its' fairly obvious if a guy (who is well endowed, if that makes it easier) is trying to appear female.

If that doesn't clear things up, think of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and what the Ray Finkle character had to do to appear as the female police officer.

uhm, i apologize for my ignorance. i'm slightly disturbed now... being a woman sure is hard.

but skirts usually hide things pretty well, just don't wear pencil skirts. you could try a fuller skirt instead of the tuck-back.

uhm, i apologize for my ignorance. i'm slightly disturbed now... being a woman sure is hard.

but skirts usually hide things pretty well, just don't wear pencil skirts. you could try a fuller skirt instead of the tuck-back.

look.. I wouldn't care if it was a 90% female class. I'm going as a man. This joke has gone on too long =P heh.

I wouldn't compromise my integrity one ounce for Mac.

The men from Scotland wear kilts and it is rumored that they don't wear ....:)

They seem to follow the motto, "Always be prepared".

hehe.. had to. I just had a debate with feminist the other day about the male hegemony. Mainly how the design of sky scrapers, the original Apollo rocket ships, as well as the new'ish space shuttles are phallic images intended to oppress women. To her, physics was a secondary concern with the engineers. Their primairy concern was that they had to project their massive manhood onto the world.

Somewhere in the argument ploughs came up, and how they are also phallic images that 'penetrate mother earth' and are therefore opressive instruments for women.

heh.. seriously, how much time do you need to spend in a day to think up these theories? I'm guessing 23hrs. Hardcore feminists must not get much sleep =P

hahahahaha this made my day

clearly.

mac is so full of sh*t.

/bitterness

Sooo an "R" cutoff on the MCAT is a better indicator of 'doctor potential' than academics over your entire university career, and five personal (albeit subjective) questions? I'm not saying the system's perfect, but they're facing the same pressures every other school is - too many applicants for too few spots. At every school, qualified applicants are being passed over, but every assessment system has pros and cons. With Mac, at least everything is determined over time - you've got years to try to maximize your cGPA, and weeks to work on your questions; if you have a bad day on the day of the MCAT, that's it for Queen's or Western.

Sooo an "R" cutoff on the MCAT is a better indicator of 'doctor potential' than academics over your entire university career, and five personal (albeit subjective) questions? I'm not saying the system's perfect, but they're facing the same pressures every other school is - too many applicants for too few spots. At every school, qualified applicants are being passed over, but every assessment system has pros and cons. With Mac, at least everything is determined over time - you've got years to try to maximize your cGPA, and weeks to work on your questions; if you have a bad day on the day of the MCAT, that's it for Queen's or Western.

There is no more R cutoff. And no, the fact is 1 bad year will severely hurt your chances at mac, given their ridiculously high GPA average. If you have a bad few courses, that's it for Mac. I am trying to do a fifth year but it can only bump my GPA from 3.74 to 3.77. 2 initial bad years (3.6 and 3.67) can apparently sink you.

and no, if you have a bad day on the mcat, you just write again. Can't quite do that for GPA.

As someone who applied to Mac a few times before I got in, I can understand the frustration with the selection for the interview process. This is a fact of life- there are so many qualified applicants that many will be left out for an interview (most people wouldn't even apply if they didn't think they have a chance...and something ridiculous like 1 in 10 applicants at Mac get an interview). However once you are at the interview stage, I think that Mac and U of C do the best job of selecting applicants with the MMI.

The last post mentioned that you could re-write the MCAT if you had a bad test, but a bad year on your GPA is difficult to replace. This is true- however, is it not fair that a bad year -an entire year- be reflected on your application? All I can say is strengthen your application in other ways, and keep trying. Took me 3 tries to get in, and I'm loving it. Best of luck to everyone.

As someone who applied to Mac a few times before I got in, I can understand the frustration with the selection for the interview process. This is a fact of life- there are so many qualified applicants that many will be left out for an interview (most people wouldn't even apply if they didn't think they have a chance...and something ridiculous like 1 in 10 applicants at Mac get an interview). However once you are at the interview stage, I think that Mac and U of C do the best job of selecting applicants with the MMI.

The last post mentioned that you could re-write the MCAT if you had a bad test, but a bad year on your GPA is difficult to replace. This is true- however, is it not fair that a bad year -an entire year- be reflected on your application? All I can say is strengthen your application in other ways, and keep trying. Took me 3 tries to get in, and I'm loving it. Best of luck to everyone.

No it isn't fair, at least not in my books. I am just not the person who I used to be, and this is a lot more extreme for some people. A lot of people are wearing the inter-temporal chains that are really holding them back. The application should represent who you are NOW. Not who you were 4-5 years ago.

I am strengthening my application, but you know when you can't even improve your marks to keep up with the inflation going on in the admissions process (especially at mac) there is a problem. Just my two cents.

No it isn't fair, at least not in my books. I am just not the person who I used to be, and this is a lot more extreme for some people. A lot of people are wearing the inter-temporal chains that are really holding them back. The application should represent who you are NOW. Not who you were 4-5 years ago.

I am strengthening my application, but you know when you can't even improve your marks to keep up with the inflation going on in the admissions process (especially at mac) there is a problem. Just my two cents.

I agree! This is especially true of older applicants.

Archived