Premed 101 Forums

Medical sector related training opportunities/extracurricular

premeddream

Hi,

I'm a secondary 5 student in Montreal. I would like to know if there is any medical sector related training/intern opportunities for secondary school students available. I want to get some work experience in medical sectors. I'm also looking for any medical related extracurricular activities.

I'm also currently involved in an organization that distributes foods for people on the street. I was wondering if these kind of experience would help me at all (resume) for my application at McGill's premed in the future.

Thanks

If you are attending an EMSB school, you can try applying to the H.O.P.S. (Hospital Opportunity For Students) program (although it may be too late). If you are accepted, you will be able to shadow doctors in 8 or 10 different fields and get a feel for the hospital environment. Some even let you help them perform minor things, like cutting the thread when they're stitching a finger back on.

You can also volunteer at a hospital close to where you live. For some, you'll need to pass an interview before being accepted (ie. The Children's Hospital), and for others, such as the Lakeshore General Hospital in Pointe-Claire, you can just email the head of the various volunteer programs and they'll probably accept you right away.

Archived