Premed 101 Forums

site preference

Hi:

Does anyone know if the site preference choice will affect our admission chance at all, like IMP and Northern program might be less competitive since less people will want to go there (I am not sure if that is true though).

Also about revealing my status as a first year osteopathic medical student? I might prefer UBC more because of the lower tuiton rate and better chance of practicing internationally with the MD degree. I have pretty good grades so far, and was wondering if that will help me or hurt my chance. Thanks

It definitely says somewhere that which site you chose doesn't affect your chances since the adcom doesn't see that while they're making their decisions. However, it does say that if you are a offered a spot, it will be for a specific site. If you don't want that site, you can turn it down but you're basically turning down your seat. I think you can be waitlisted for other sites but obviously you're not guaranteed to get them.

As for the osteopathic thing...other people can comment but in my opinion, I wouldn't mention it. I would question why you went into that program if you didn't want to finish it...(although in an mmi setting, I doubt you would have the chance to bring that up anyway)

I think you have to detail all post secondary education on your transcript. This would include osteopathic school. Not doing so would be academic dishonesty and could affect your application and possibly your status if you ever matriculate to medical school.

It is never a good idea to be dishonest on an application and an act of ommission is not unlike lying.

Saying that, you better have a good reason for leaving the program.

shaka

• 3 weeks later...

I have a hard time believing that though. If they decide on 250 people that they want to offer positions to, and then they look at those peoples' site preferences and every single person has put the main site with no interest in the other ones...they will obviously have to change who they are accepting. They will then be able to accept only some of those people and go to the waitlist to accept people who wanted the other sites. Right???? So even if they don't look at it initially, I don't see how it couldn't affect your chances if you put 'not interested' in 1 or 2 of the sites????? Inevitably it has to make a difference right?

Hi:

Does anyone know if the site preference choice will affect our admission chance at all, like IMP and Northern program might be less competitive since less people will want to go there (I am not sure if that is true though).

Also about revealing my status as a first year osteopathic medical student? I might prefer UBC more because of the lower tuiton rate and better chance of practicing internationally with the MD degree. I have pretty good grades so far, and was wondering if that will help me or hurt my chance. Thanks

what did you say you have been doing for the past year then? Did you just make something up? Also if you have to re-apply next year, then you will really have some problems explaining how you spent your time if you do not reveal that you were in osteopathic med school.

From the UBC med admissions website:

"The site choice of the accepted student is given priority, unless the available positions at that site have been filled, in which case he/she would be wait-listed for a preferred site(s). Acceptance of admission to the MD undergraduate program is site specific."

Archived