Premed 101 Forums

2009 Interview Stats - Invited/Rejected

To Jochi1543

1) I never said my life sucks. I like what I do. I agree I am quite blessed. I don't understand the, from my perspective, hostile tone of your post.

2) I agree, it is hard to make it with a low paying job. That wasn't your point before though. You said that nobody could enjoy having a job doing simple labour. My comments were meant to illustrate the fact that this simply isn't so. There is something satisfying about doing something with your hands, and knowing that at 5 o'clock, you get to go home.

To lingrad

3) You are using the extreme examples of both sides. Maybe I wouldn't want to clean feces off of the walls, but then I don't want to be puked on by some drunk when I am trying to stitch him up. I don't want a patients to die on me either. My point is, there are bad parts to any job. There are also nice things. I am not pretending that I think being a janitor is better than being a physician, because for me, it isn't. What I am saying is that it is wrong for people on here to make judgments about the important jobs others do, and to say that they are bereft of enjoyment and/or satisfaction. Such attitudes lead to condescending and uncaring professionals.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To Jochi1543

1) I never said my life sucks. I like what I do. I agree I am quite blessed. I don't understand the, from my perspective, hostile tone of your post.

2) I agree, it is hard to make it with a low paying job. That wasn't your point before though. You said that nobody could enjoy having a job doing simple labour. My comments were meant to illustrate the fact that this simply isn't so. There is something satisfying about doing something with your hands, and knowing that at 5 o'clock, you get to go home.

Oh no, it's great, what wouldn't I have done to go back to those days when I stood 8 hours straight at the Walmart cash register, already with carpal tunnel by the end of week 1 - and $8.25 an hour with $8000 in student loan debt. Or those days when I had to hustle and clean houses so I could get through the summer because the $800 I got paid at the crappy office job which was the only thing available to me as an immigrant was not even enough to buy books for the first semester. The woman who had 2 kids who would smear their **** on the toilet seat - highlight of my weekend! Wiping **** off of toilet seats and throwing groceries over the scanner was SO satisfying.

Why am I not surprised this discussion is taking place in the QUEEN'S forum?

Oh no, it's great, what wouldn't I have done to go back to those days when I stood 8 hours straight at the Walmart cash register, already with carpal tunnel by the end of week 1 - and $8.25 an hour with $8000 in student loan debt. Or those days when I had to hustle and clean houses so I could get through the summer because the $800 I got paid at the crappy office job which was the only thing available to me as an immigrant was not even enough to buy books for the first semester. The woman who had 2 kids who would smear their **** on the toilet seat - highlight of my weekend! Wiping **** off of toilet seats and throwing groceries over the scanner was SO satisfying.

Why am I not surprised this discussion is taking place in the QUEEN'S forum?

So you had some bad experiences and therefore everyone does? And I'll say again, it isn't always the work that is satisfying so much as the knowledge that you do your work, you get paid, and you GO HOME. Some people are satisfied with that. If you can't be, then thats perfectly ok, but that doesn't mean you should paint everyone with the same brush. You make it sound like your experiences were these terrible ordeals that you barely survived from and medicine will ultimately be your saviour. I hope for your sake it is true, but I fear you may be disappointed.

And I have no idea why this is on the Queen's forum. My guess is that since Queen's doesn't discriminate in any way who you are or where you are from, it likely attracts the widest variety of different views and opinions.

Well said The_B. I have to agree. I have what most would consider a dream research position, yet I still continue to work at my retail grocery store position 3 nights a week despite the fact I end up working a ton of hours per week. It's nice to work somewhere where you just do simple work, have easy conversation with customers about their produce purchase, and go home. No one looking to you for complex answers or deep thoughts. It can be very satisfying.

I guess not all retail positions are created equally though....Jochi, your time at Walmart sounds way more odious than anything I've experienced at my grocery store. It's also true that the money isn't amazing. But there is a lot to be said for peace of mind and a stress free life. Given that I don't have anyone to support but myself, if I don't get into med school this year, I may reduce my research hours and increase my retail hours believe it or not!

As for carpal tunnel -- try sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day -- did me in way faster than any cash register!

• 1 month later...
Most recent 2 (and that doesn't include your current year of study)

Hi, I justneed some clarification. I'm going into my fourth year and I will be applying, however, my first two years were not very good and my third year I had a 3.85 gpa. Does that mean there is no point in my me trying this year because they won't be looking at my fourth year grades? If they take in my 2nd and 3rd year marks, I will def not be able to make the 3.75 cut off...:confused:

• 3 months later...
so the woman at Queens admissions on the phone made it sound like the cutoffs were strict and there was no 'interview waitlist' for those in limbo..

so my question is: did anyone interview with a 9 in verbal and 31+ composite (assuming GPA cutoffs are met)??

I know personally of at least one person with a 9 in verbal and ultra high sciences (13 and 15) that was put on an interview waitlist and then called later.

There were also several people on this forum that had the same thing happen to them.... so despite what you were told it really does look like there was an interview waitlist this year for those with a 9 in verbal and monster science scores.

• 1 month later...
just received an interview invite. here are my stats:

grad student

best 2 years gpa: ~3.75

MCAT: 9B/11V/12P Q (32Q)

i figured that i would get burned by either 9 in bio or q in writing...

This post makes me hopeful. I'm 32R 9B/12V/11P, grad student, with 3.78 best 2. Fingers are seriously crossed after reading this.

Archived