Premed 101 Forums

Is Ottawa interview openfile?

They have your sketch handy if that's what you mean.

The panel will most likely dive into pieces of your sketch and ask you to elaborate, so they do review your sketch beforehand and they pick out activities/awards/research/etc. they want to know more about.

Also, if you've indicated bilingual, how much of the interview will be in french?

I believe it depends on whether you're going for French or English stream.

I don't imagine that much of the French stream interview will be in English.

Conversely, none of the English stream interview should be in French (unless you mentioned that you are bilingual, then they may "test" you).

These are just my opinions.

At an info session, Dr. Hebert (I think he is the Dean of Medicine or head of admissions), said that if you apply in the french stream, your interview will be in french. If you apply as bilingual (in either stream), they will ask you to show your ability to speak both fluently.

He then proceeded to ask who at the current time was either bilingual or francophone...my friend raised her hand, and he tested her on the spot to make sure she was fully fluent and comfortable in french.

He said that people applying to the french stream should only apply if they are fully comfortable and fluent in french and the interview will determine that.

Hope that info helps!

is it a panel interview or one-on-one? Is it structured as in they have a set of same questions and just ask everyone and see the answer from each or it's random and goes as the conversation?

You are interviewed by 3 members...usually a Doctor, a 4th year medical student, and a community worker or an admissions committee member.

The interview is structured in the sense that they do have a certain # of questions that will be similar and those questions will also depend on the panel you have. That being said, because each candidate is different, the majority of the interview will be unique to that candidate's background, so don't be surprised if they ask you to talk about things you had just mentioned in your answer to a previous question.

They try to make it a relaxed, conversational type of interview. But I have heard some horror stories, and that I suppose depends on who is on your panel and if you mentioned something they want to test/challenge you on.

Oh, interesting.

Same thing for the english stream applicants that indicated bilingual. When I had the chance to ask my questions I had the option to speak in french or not. I made my best effort, but it's been about 7 years since I REALLY used my french so it was pretty pathetic. Needless to say I've been Rosetta Stone'n it since then. And no.. I'm not Stone'n it like Michael Phelps.

Yes, the french stream students in my year all said they had to answer questions in english, excluding the ones who were obviously in english. I did an interview in english stream and am not bilingual and had no questions in french, which is good as my french is horrible :D As for questions, they are not standard questions as they ask questions specific to my application (like chose a random part of my sketch and asked a lot of questions about it) and they change with the conversation as they spent maybe 70% of my interview on ethical questions presumeably based on my response to the first standard ethical question.

Archived