Premed 101 Forums

No Hotels!?!

Wow I was looking on hotels.ca, expedia.ca, aircanada.com, flightcentre.ca, and there are NO hotels available at all on the weekend of March 28-30. (the interview weekend!) What's going on here!??! Is there some special event aside from the interviews?

Congratulations on receiving an interview! Yes, there is a hockey tournament the weekend of March 28-30, reducing hotel availability. You are welcome to request a billet with one of the first year students. Here is the website with that information:

http://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2013:logistics/accomodations

Elaine

Congratulations on receiving an interview! Yes, there is a hockey tournament the weekend of March 28-30, reducing hotel availability. You are welcome to request a billet with one of the first year students. Here is the website with that information:

http://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2013:logistics/accomodations

Elaine

I assume we should wait until we have signed up for a specific day before we make a request for Billet?

how do you/does she know what weekend you will be interviewing?

My Mac interview is on the March 29th weekend so it had to be the other.

I don't anticipate it will be overly difficult to get the date on the scheduling system if I logon around 8AM, as I'm guessing most people would want to interview later.

okay so now there are some hotels, but they're at like 140 a night or more mainly.

One of the big advantages of Queen's is that it is right downtown. However, that means that the hotels that are close to the university are also downtown, and thus, more expensive. You have a couple of options. You can request to billet with one of the first year students. We will give you an opportunity to ask more about the program and life at Queen's in general. Alternatively, if you really want to stay in a hotel but want a cheaper one, you could stay outside of downtown and take a bus/cab to your interview. I don't really recommend this option, but it is available to you if you wish.

Elaine

One of the big advantages of Queen's is that it is right downtown. However, that means that the hotels that are close to the university are also downtown, and thus, more expensive. You have a couple of options. You can request to billet with one of the first year students. We will give you an opportunity to ask more about the program and life at Queen's in general. Alternatively, if you really want to stay in a hotel but want a cheaper one, you could stay outside of downtown and take a bus/cab to your interview. I don't really recommend this option, but it is available to you if you wish.

Elaine

If we wait to request a Billet after Feb 9th, will there be any spots left?

If we wait to request a Billet after Feb 9th, will there be any spots left?

Hopefully. We weren't anticipating anybody requesting before the Feb 9th sign up date. How can you request a billet if you don't actually know you can get the date you want? It will be very difficult for us to have to deal with "I requested this date but I can't get it" e-mails.

Please wait until you have confirmed your interview date before you request a billet.

What's the parking situation like on campus at Queen's?

The main campus parking lot is shared with the hospital. It is below ground under one of the playing fields. As such, the lot has been partially flooded lately, decreasing the number of spaces available. You may be okay, but there is no guarantee. In addition, the parking is quite expensive. There is street parking on campus, which can be paid for in up to 3 hour blocks. Parking is free on Sunday. However, as QI2009 said, there aren't a lot of spots available.

You do have a few options if you drive to Kingston. Parking on west campus is free, and there is a free shuttle between the campuses. In addition, there are a couple other of lots available within walking distance to Queen's where you could park. If you are staying overnight, I recommend that you leave your car wherever you are staying, and walk to campus. Everything is really close here!

Elaine

There are very few spots available. I wouldn't recommended driving to campus from wherever you are staying.

The main campus parking lot is shared with the hospital. It is below ground under one of the playing fields. As such, the lot has been partially flooded lately, decreasing the number of spaces available. You may be okay, but there is no guarantee. In addition, the parking is quite expensive. There is street parking on campus, which can be paid for in up to 3 hour blocks. Parking is free on Sunday. However, as QI2009 said, there aren't a lot of spots available.

You do have a few options if you drive to Kingston. Parking on west campus is free, and there is a free shuttle between the campuses. In addition, there are a couple other of lots available within walking distance to Queen's where you could park. If you are staying overnight, I recommend that you leave your car wherever you are staying, and walk to campus. Everything is really close here!

Elaine

Thanks a lot!

Hi all,

I understand that some of you are concerned (and legitimately so) about finding a place to stay on interview weekend, and have consequently already submitted a billet request.

We ask that you please wait until you have confirmed your interview date before you make a billet request. We apologize that we did not make this clearer before hand, but we did not anticipate any requests until after Feb 9.

We will email all those who have already submitted a request asking that you resubmit your application on Feb 9.

Good luck in your preparation.

Elaine

I'm from Kingston, and my parking advice is as follows:

Park north of campus, around Victoria Park (Brock st and Albert st) There's plenty of free street parking most weekends, and you'll be 10-15 minutes walking from campus. Plus you'll get to walk around the neighborhood (aka student ghetto).

Archived