Premed 101 Forums

Official Interview Invite thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the "wave" of interview invitations never ended, even though it seems that way on these forums, as I know someone who got an invitation yesterday for a Feb 22 interview!

I guess we need more posters on this Toronto forum as other schools have a lot more people posting when interviews came out

Fourth year undergrad, first time applying

wGPA: 3.93 (3.85 overall)

MCAT: 11P/10B/8V Q

As you can see from my MCAT score, U of T looks at the "whole person" - not just their numbers :)

I am so thankful for this opportunity and good luck to everyone this year!

Received an interview yesterday (Feb 23) for a March 6 interview.

Currently a post-doc, finished my PhD in September 2008, first time applying

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 12P/11B/12V O

Grad info: Two published papers and two more submitted as first author, four other papers published as secondary author, 29 conference abstracts (11 as first author).

ECs: Not much volunteerism, student council related stuff in undergrad & grad school, editor of a journal.

Luckily U of T looked past my "O" on my MCAT essay, which cost me interviews at Queen's and Western; no idea what caused my rejection for an interview at Mac.

Received an interview yesterday (Feb 23) for a March 6 interview.

Currently a post-doc, finished my PhD in September 2008, first time applying

wGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 12P/11B/12V O

Grad info: Two published papers and two more submitted as first author, four other papers published as secondary author, 29 conference abstracts (11 as first author).

ECs: Not much volunteerism, student council related stuff in undergrad & grad school, editor of a journal.

Luckily U of T looked past my "O" on my MCAT essay, which cost me interviews at Queen's and Western; no idea what caused my rejection for an interview at Mac.

You did your phd at UT? which department?

I do know Dr. Foster as I'm based out of Sunnybrook (though he wasn't my supervisor), which means no I haven't worked with Brian Wilson who is based downtown.

Though this probably isn't the best thread to say this in, I wanted to comment about how Toronto seems to put a lot more effort into deciding who gets an interview, to try to get the best students possible (as opposed to, say, a hard MCAT cutoff that renders all other info useless). To me this is another, but extremely important, reason why I would prefer U of T versus other Ontario schools - I'd much rather be in a class with people who deserve to be there and who will likely make good students/clerks/residents/doctors (and who I will effectively be working with professionally once you get to clerkships) than in a class with some percentage who aren't necessarily well rounded but got a kick ass score on the MCATs.

Not that I got any interviews at any other schools, though :) But still...

Though this probably isn't the best thread to say this in, I wanted to comment about how Toronto seems to put a lot more effort into deciding who gets an interview, to try to get the best students possible (as opposed to, say, a hard MCAT cutoff that renders all other info useless). To me this is another, but extremely important, reason why I would prefer U of T versus other Ontario schools - I'd much rather be in a class with people who deserve to be there and who will likely make good students/clerks/residents/doctors (and who I will effectively be working with professionally once you get to clerkships) than in a class with some percentage who aren't necessarily well rounded but got a kick ass score on the MCATs.

Well said! I totally agree :)

I'd much rather be in a class with people who deserve to be there and who will likely make good students/clerks/residents/doctors (and who I will effectively be working with professionally once you get to clerkships) than in a class with some percentage who aren't necessarily well rounded but got a kick ass score on the MCATs.

Not that I got any interviews at any other schools, though :) But still...

Well I would say people who go to schools with a MCAT cutoff deserve just as much to be there because no school makes selections based on marks alone. But I do agree with you that it's good UofT is more inclusive :o

Well I would say people who go to schools with a MCAT cutoff deserve just as much to be there because no school makes selections based on marks alone. But I do agree with you that it's good UofT is more inclusive :o

It' only a few Canadian schools that use the hard MCAT/GPA cutoff. US school, especially the ones that consistently ranked top 25 medical education programs in the world adopt similar approach as UofT, which require a comprehensive review of applicant's profile. No wonder UofT is regarded as a premier institution even south of the boarder.

It' only a few Canadian schools that use the hard MCAT/GPA cutoff. US school, especially the ones that consistently ranked top 25 medical education programs in the world adopt similar approach as UofT, which require a comprehensive review of applicant's profile. No wonder UofT is regarded as a premier institution even south of the boarder.

well top institutions actually weight the MCAT, unlike UofT which uses it as a soft cutoff. UofT is regarded as a premiere institution because of research dollars, not because of its application system.

With that said I don't agree with what a previous poster said regardin'g schools that use hard mcat cutoffs. Those students that do get in are eventually possessing all the qualities that a UofT student possesses, the only difference is that students who DON'T meet the cutoff don't have a chance at all, which is not the case at UofT. So UofT is really just more fair in the end.

hahahaha....yes, yes and yes. He would really like me to do a PhD...but I'm not sure that I want to go that route. Actually, I'm pretty sure that I would hold off on a PhD unless my dream job needed it (and last I checked sometimes a PhD helps a bit for medschool applications, but I do not think that I want to put in another 4-6 years of grad school). We've had many debates over the merits of doing a PhD. Many.

Archived